New to Muzzleloading for turkeys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRodrig304

Reaction score
Hey guys. Love the forum super helpful. I have a novice question for you. I have a Thompson Center Encore with a 12 ga. muzzleloading shotgun barrel on it. I have bought my shot and powder and different types of wads/shotcups. The problem I seem to be having is the shot cups seems to be either too big to be loaded through choke tube that comes on the barrel. I tried to see if it would fit through my shotgun turkey choke and same thing so I'm pretty sure that they are supposed to be that tight. Just making sure I have the right stuff I need to beginning tinkering with this gun. As far as the shot cups I bought 3" Turkey Ranger Shot cups and 3" Multi-metal shot cups. I'm sure its a completely "nube" question but I really could use all the help I can find for it. I have trying looking up as much info on this barrel as possible but can't seem to find many results for it. Thanks in advance

I had a Knight TK-2000.I used the shot cups that were pre split. Didn't have any problems getting them down the barrel. On some guns the choke has to be removed. (Royal pain 2 feet lower than the neck though.) You may want to try different over the shot wads. Some guys use different thickness or different combos.

On my T/C New Englander 12 gauge.. I have to take the choke off to load shot wad. I can load the other way. And since I use it for grouse and squirrels.. that's fine. I use my TK2000 Knight 12 Gauge and can push the split cups down through the choke.

Well Guys after tinkering around for a bit and shooting throughout the winter and early spring I finally got a good turkey load that I felt comfortable shooting out to 40 yds with and probably more, just haven't tried further yet. I am shooting 90 gr of pyrodex RS, cardboard over the powder wad, 3" Turkey Ranger Shotcup, 1 3/4 oz. (50/50 mixed) Magnum Lead #6's and Nickel plated #5's and over shot wad thru a Jellyhead Maximum choke tube. I was able to take this gun out this past saturday on MD's opening day of turkey season and harvested a great bird with it at 25 yds. Called in 5 birds off the roost at the crack of dawn and had them run in through the dense fog to the decoys 10 mins later. Was lucky enough to shoot a 22 lb, 10 1/2" beard, 1" spurs, tom! My buddy took another great bird with an over and under. Awesome hunt and an fun gun to add to my turkey hunting arsenal! Heres a pic of our birds and you can see the gun as well! Hooked! Love muzzleloading turkeys! Hopefully this is the first of many to come!

Attachments

• IMG_7696.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 667
SendOneWitem said:
Well Guys after tinkering around for a bit and shooting throughout the winter and early spring I finally got a good turkey load that I felt comfortable shooting out to 40 yds with and probably more, just haven't tried further yet. I am shooting 90 gr of pyrodex RS, cardboard over the powder wad, 3" Turkey Ranger Shotcup, 1 3/4 oz. (50/50 mixed) Magnum Lead #6's and Nickel plated #5's and over shot wad thru a Jellyhead Maximum choke tube. I was able to take this gun out this past saturday on MD's opening day of turkey season and harvested a great bird with it at 25 yds. Called in 5 birds off the roost at the crack of dawn and had them run in through the dense fog to the decoys 10 mins later. Was lucky enough to shoot a 22 lb, 10 1/2" beard, 1" spurs, tom! My buddy took another great bird with an over and under. Awesome hunt and an fun gun to add to my turkey hunting arsenal! Heres a pic of our birds and you can see the gun as well! Hooked! Love muzzleloading turkeys! Hopefully this is the first of many to come!

very nice job guys!! Always nice to score on a Tom. Good eating too. Congratulations.

Back