Turkey hunting with my hawken sidelock rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Rat

Reaction score
Hi guys, been a while since I have been here. As spring gobbler season approaches I decided to go for turkey. All fall and winter during deer season I went afield with both my compound bow and my Investarms Hawken .50. For some reason the combination of bow and muzzie felt right. I checked the VA state regs for spring gobbler and both are legal to hunt. That said I haven't found much online outside of muzzie shotguns and turkey hunting. Before cartridge rifles people had to ML hunt these birds. Is anyone still hunting turkey with ML rifles? If not, why is ML hunting turkey out of favor? If so is shot placement the same as for bow and arrow? If not what would be the best place to send my .50 cal Great Plains Connical? New to this so here to learn. Thanks.

I would shot him through the wings, that will keep the bullet away from the breast and make sure you get a good shot on him. I am also taking a muzzleloader hunting turkey this spring. 56 caliber smoothbore Renegade. I just patterned it out to 30 yards. Can't wait.

I feel it is out of favor due to a lot of state's hunting laws. Here in Idaho a turkey can't be taken with anything except shot or an arrow, can't use any single projectile type weapons. I've shot them with my bow several times but have been getting an itch to use a sidelock, I've been trying to watch for a smoothbore to add to my cabinet.

I just picked up a 12 gauge barrel that fits my 15/16 Hawken. Can't wait to shoot it. Hopefully today.

I haven't looked into that option at all, I wonder if the TC .58 smoothie barrels will fit to my 1" flats Renegade?

I don't think they made a 58 smoothie. I have a 56 caliber smoothbore. And it will fit in a renegade or 1 inch hawken stock. In fact I believe it came in a Renegade stock. You can still pick them up occasionally on Ebay and perhaps other places.

Typo, I meant to say 56. You're right, I looked around a bit and it looks like the 56 is all they made. I was hoping there was a .62 option or so, was wanting around a 20 gauge. Maybe I'll start a thread to see if others can chime in on what kind of patterns they see out of the 56. I'd hope it would be ok patterns to 30 yards at least.

I shot mine at 30 yards. It would be pushing it, but I think i could kill a turkey at that distance. I will try to take some more shots and post a picture. I have considered taking a 50 caliber renegade barrel and sending it to Bobby Hoyt and have him rebore it to a larger caliber smooth bore. Just a thought.

That's exactly what I'm seeing after some more google searching...it sounds like finding a 1" renegade barrel in somewhat poor condition for cheap and then sending it to be bored out to .62 is about my best option. Sounds like it's a bit of a risk that it can be bored out to .62, depends on the depth of the sight holes. Probably best to call Hoyt and discuss it with him.

Back