TURKEY GUN ROLL CALL !!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
With all the Turkey "Talk" spread around here... OK, what Gun will you be carrying & whats your Choke & Load this Spring???

I will be carrying my Browning Gold Stalker 12 3.5 w/26" bbl & .680 Gobblin Thunder Choke stuffed with Win 12 3.5 HV 5's.

Its the one wearin the sling. :lol:

DSCF0137.jpg

Remington 870 SPS-T 12 gauge, Kick's Gobblin' Thunder choke in .665, Winchester HV 3" #5's, Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scope :yeah:

Both my father and I use H&R single shot 12 guages with Aimpoints. My dad has a 3" magnum and I use a 3.5" magnum. We both use the no.5 shot turkey loads.

We discovered that with our style of hunting, one shot is all you need. We hunt side by side at prescouted locations . We'll set up Gretchen( that is the name of our turkey decoy named in honor of a friends bird dog :lol: ) and then our blind. We will call the birds in and the max distance we'll shoot is 30 -35 yards.

12 gauge Custom Pedersoli side by side. Load will be 100 grains of Pinnacle 2f (this is the Pinnacle that seems to have been screened with a silage fork), 2 Wonder Wads, 1
I/8" thick hard card, 1 and 1/2 ounces high quality nickel plated shot #5 or #6 topped with a .015 overshot paper card . Fixed chokes, modified right, full left.
pedersolidouble004.jpg

pedersolidouble002.jpg

Howdy Folks,

here is a little info on my turkey killer

220turkeyR.jpg

my favorite turkey gun is a custom built Savage model 220 hammerless single barrel with a tang safety. these guns were made from 1938-1965 so they are kinda hard to come by nowadays.

the gun weighs in at 5 3/4 pounds and is a dream to tote around in these mountains.

over the years with me being a Gunsmith , i have owned all kinds of shotguns that i had turkey hunted with but none even compare for me ....lol (got rid of a $900 Benelli)

the turkey gun has had just about all that you can imagine done to it to enhance the way it shoots and handles.

Point of aim is dead on with just a front bead when sighting down the ventilated rib (built it this way)and it shoots in excess of 98 percent patterns at 40 yards easily with #4 or #5 shot and No it was not easy to achieve this...lol

the gun has a 3 inch cambered 26 inch custom ventilated rib barrel that has been highly modified to achieve my goals in a turkey gun.

the barrel has had the forcing cone lengthened(then highly polished) to be three inches long ahead of the 3 inch chamber then the bore size has been backbored(then highly polished) to a larger size of .742 (standard is .729) to shorten the wad column and reduce felt recoil further , then it has a custom .650 choke tube(Rem-Choke style) made by Hastings installed (by custom i mean i have modified the internal configuration of it to suit my purpose). all this gives me around .092 thousandths of constriction for my tuned choke/bore combination.

Yeah it DOES kick a little with it being so light but I've got a very good recoil pad made by Terminator (USA Products)installed and it also has a padded Sorbothane comb on the stock in the cheek area coverd with a (Mossy Oak stock cover by Beartooth products) as well as a molded finger hand grip with a palm swell (notice it in the pic's) to enhance your grip and tame it a bit

anyways you never feel it when ole tom walks out and you pull the trigger and this is my number one goal

one shot is all you need and you make sure of your shot with a single barrel.
If there happens to be more than one turk ? well then that is another hunt.

there is a lot more to a turkey gun than just picking one off the shelf at the local sporting goods store......lol

Take Care,

Use the same gun I use in the duck blind and at the skeet range and on dove hunts and my favorite gun my Benelli SBE. Just change chokes and your good to go.

That is a nice looking gun RAZORBACK. :drool:

Don

I am using my Turkey Thumper. It's a NWTF - NEF fully camo'd 3-1/2 mag 12ga. with extra full choked 24" rifle sighted barrel. Weights just under 5 lbs. For walking and calling, its great to carry. It packs a wallop, but I don't notice when I am on a gobbler. The next day is different story. :d'oh!: :wall:

IMAG0056c.jpg

:) Some nice turkey pics there guys in addition to a great line-up of guns!
Sure gets the ole juices flowin. :lol:

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a Rhino .680 ported choke and a Simmons 1.5 -5 x 32 shotgun scope .

Ammo is Nitro 3 1/2" . 2 & 5/8 oz with #4 copper #5 copper and 7 1/2 hevi shot.

Probably my bow this year. I have been extreamly sick with a sinus infection the last 3 weeks or so, but I have gotten out every day to practice.

You 835 Fans, anyone ever have problems with gun jamming? I had a new 835 I bot shortly after they came out & had problems ejecting first shot out of chamber?? I have heard of others with same problem. This was with 12 3.5 Win HV's.

gshunter said:
I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a Rhino .680 ported choke and a Simmons 1.5 -5 x 32 shotgun scope .

Ammo is Nitro 3 1/2" . 2 & 5/8 oz with #4 copper #5 copper and 7 1/2 hevi shot.

I you are using 2.5/8s oz of shot out of a 12ga, I don't feel so bad about using 3 to 4.1/8 oz out of my 7ga.

7gaBar.jpg

7gaRec.jpg

7gaStock.jpg

2006-02-11-T.jpg

Just at 25 yds, I am Jug choking the barrel, but honing is going slow. I only have .005 and have used 4or5 stone sets.

I you are using 2.5/8s oz of shot out of a 12ga, I don't feel so bad about using 3 to 4.1/8 oz out of my 7ga.

I gotta ask, how much powder do you use in that 7ga?

I have found that 150FF works better than my standard load of 170. :D

Kick is not really that much more than a 3" 12 ga. :wink:

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
Very unique looking ML, I like it. :yeah:

Who makes this 7ga?

I did, just one of my home made creations, if you click on my [little house] you can see more of the 'stuff' that I make!

BCS said:
Hunt 4 Bucks said:
Very unique looking ML, I like it. :yeah:

Who makes this 7ga?

I did, just one of my home made creations, if you click on my [little house] you can see more of the 'stuff' that I make!

Sorry but the link [little house] did not work for me.

Latest posts

Back