Back from Iowa

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fliowa

Reaction score
I just got back home to Florida after spending two weeks hunting Iowa"s late season muzzleloader with my younger brother. First let me apologize for no photo's at this time because my camera broke and my brother has to send me the ones off his camera but that could take months. On the 9th day of the hunt we were on a small tract of public land and went to spot I love to hunt in the afternoon with a northeast wind. I set up my small one-man ground blind chair in my usual spot and sat down. It was about 3:30 pm. As I looked across the open area the deer tend to cross I could see there were several blades of grass sticking up 20 yds. out from my blind that could cause issues later so I went over and snapped them off. I walked back to the blind and tucked in for the hunt. My position allows me to cover four north/south trails directly out in front of me with the furthest trail out at about 185 yards. All 4 trails appear well used and lead to STANDING CORN 8).

On this set I had my scoped Knight Disc extreme loaded with a 100 grains of loose 777ffg and a 250 grain shockwave. I have the gun setting on shooting sticks with the butt of gun setting on my lap. Now I am expecting deer to come from my left down the trail and make their way to the corn however at about 4:30pm I catch movement in the tall grass on my right 20 yards out. as the deer appears I can see it is a buck and as he continues walking he stops and of all things he turns toward me and sniffs the grass that I had snapped off earlier. I see he has ten points and slightly outside his ears there fore I snapped the gun up to my shoulder and centered the crosshairs on his throat patch and pulled back on the trigger. When the smoke cleared I saw no deer and heard no noise. I flipped open the blind and walked out to where he was standing and there he was laying in the grass.

I filled my doe tag on the 5th day of the hunt with my Optima V2 pistol loaded with 80 grains 777ffg and 250 gr shockwave. I was hunting narrow strip of woods on public land when a doe came walking by at 30 yards. I aimed for a high shoulder and dropped her.

Congrats on both deer and nice report.

congratulations on the venison you made. Sounds like a great season you had.

Very nice to read about. And an encouraging story to me with my new Optima V2 pistol! Don.

Back