First sambar with the smokepole

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Just out from a few days in the bush. In my state the legal hunting age is 12 and my youngest brother hit milestone about 6 months ago so we thought it was time to take him after some sambar and fallow. After four missed I decided to take a stalk (what you guys call still hunting I think) myself into the hills and leave young Duncan to hunt with the old man. About a km into the bush Ellie my gsp was starting to air scent heavily so I moved across towards where she was looking and was just feeling like I would see something when from within the bush came a big "HONK" from a sambar. It's hard to explain for those of you who've never chased sambar but suffice it to say its bloody loud! Anyway the two broke cover in opposite directions. Ellie went on hard point at one but I couldn't see it properly, the other (it's fawn) was also partly obscured but in a much better position. I sidestepped a couple of steps and there she was standing directly away from me at about 45yds. There was a couple of little shrubs in the way but I didn't think those little things would deflect the bullet, I waited a few more seconds and she didn't turn. I thought to myself "well it's time to see what these bullets can do!", I aimed in the middle of her orange rump and let fly with the old texas heart shot. I lost her immediately in the puff of smoke but tried a trick pointed out by a forum member here and ducked down just to see her bit the ground. And that was it she was dead on the spot! I still want to try them on a mature sambar but at the end of the day I said I wanted to shoot a sambar with my blackpowder and I got it done so can't complain! Going to be magnificent eating at any rate, mouths watering already!

Jack

that
hyby3eza.jpg

aputugu5.jpg

u7agetuj.jpg

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: First sambar with the smokepole

congratulations on the deer. Those Texas Heart Shots do put them down. But if you mess the shot you ruin a lot of meat. That looks like good eating.

Congrats, Looks like you are getting the hang of that smoke pole. What is a gsp ?

Cheers guys, very true Cayuga, luckily this one worked pretty well, lost hardly any at all.

D.windsor a gsp is german shorthaired pointer. In Australia pretty well 99% of hunting is stalking and we use fundogs to indicate or point deer also to help retrieve them after the shot.

Beautiful dog, I'd sure like to have one, I bet he is a great buddy.

Congrats..... makes me itch even more for the hunting season to start.... 2 more months....

Congrats again! 2 Muzzleloader kills in a weeks and we are sitting in 90 degrees 5 months away from the season... Keep up the good work!

Congrads Jack! :yeah: That muzzeloader seems to agree with you. :wink:

Definitely recommend them in the field and at home, beautifully natured dogs. She was retrieving ducks no worries at 4 months, training them onto deer takes 2-3 years though but definitely worth the wait, even if she's nothing more than a good mate.

Yes I have been very lucky mossy! Pity we only have another 6 weeks and the deer will be casting here except for sambar and chital. I'm a red deer. And fallow man above anything else so I'm
About to come into the quiet phase until
Next feb

Great Job - Thanks for the post!

Have you made any progress selecting a bullet for your Water Buffalo hunt?

Continuing d.windsor, I forgot, it's not just a matter of what brands ship to Australia but what the actual gun shoo can get in. I think I can get a .458 TSX 300gn which might be easiest.

That is a good choice, good luck with that.

Latest posts

Back