The Gould HP Scores

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStanley

Reaction score
Sitting in my ground blind that overlooks a lush clover field, armed with my White Super 91 .415 and Ed's gould hp bullet w/ 70gr. Swiss 2f, I was really hoping to take a nice, fat doe on the opener of KY's early mz weekend. With 30 min. of legal light left I got my wish. The 3 of them stepped into the clover and started feeding close together. A mom and what looked like her two yearlings stayed so close together that I didn't want to risk shooting one and wounding the other. Finally, they separated enough and I laid the White on the "y" of my shooting stick and put the crosshairs just behind her elbow. She was standing right next to my "100 yd tree" so I aimed a little low (zeroed at 130) and touched the trigger. At the shot the two yearlings jumped right back in the woods while the doe started across the clover snowplowing her nose the whole way. I heard her crash like a truck in the brush and thought all would be well. Just a short 30-40 yds from where I pulled the trigger. Not so.....After reloading another goulds hp, I walked down to the point where I marked her brush entry in my mind. Nothing, no blood, no hair, no sign and definitely no deer. My next fear was that she made it to the creek that runs behind my blind and crashed in the water. Since I was by myself, I didn't want to think about dragging her up that steep creek bank alone. Finally, I said "uncle" and called for another pair of eyes. When they arrived 45 minutes later, so did a local sherrif's deputy and a game warden, each in their respective SUV's. Turns out, someone on a neighboring farm heard me shoot twice near dark (once 23 min. prior at the doe, once after dark to unload) and thought someone was poaching on their land. I assured both the deputy and warden that it was me and I was on land I had full permission to hunt, gave all the details requested and showed my license. Everyone was satisfied so the search for my doe could resume. It was here I learned another valuable lesson. Flashlights that have LED's are great but if they are tinted slightly blue they stink at finding blood! My help arrived with a bright white flashlight and we found the blood trail right away. Turns out, we found her 10 feet from the field edge so deeply burried in the weeds that we almost stepped on her before seeing her. She had crashed with her head & neck leaning against a tree and it was a good thing - if not for the tree we would have been swimming in the creek.

The reason there wasn't much of a blood trail was my fault. Either I twitched a little or her elbow/shoulder moved back a little with her step, but instead of hitting directly through the heart, the bullet drove straight through the lower point of the shoulder blade. There was no exit hole through the hide but when I skinned her, there was a hole about thumb diameter just behind the opposite elbow with a lot of blood pooled behind the hide. By this time it was very late sorry, no deer pics) and I had a lot of work ahead of me to get her fully processed before church the next morning. I never did find the bullet but if I had to guess, it was probably mushroomed A LOT, maybe even flattened and lost in the goo that was between the hide and ribcage. That was the longest 30-40 yd tracking job I ever had. If there had been more light I probably would have found her right away. Anyway, the gould hp put a world of hurt on her, pretty much ruined one shoulder and still did enough damage to the heart/lungs that she was probably dead before the crash. Thanks Ed Mehlig for a great bullet.

The bullet:
IMG_0409_zpsc37d7bca.jpg

The rifle:
db796dbd-bd4f-448c-98b7-7b50235b7e81_zpsf2387d7d.jpg

Congratulations on the deer. Glad you found it.

I remember one bow season I hit an 8 point with what I was sure a perfect shot. It took off and I followed blood to a downed tree top. Where I lost all trace of blood. I began walking circles around that tree top and there, under that tree top I finally saw a white rump. That buck must have crawled under that tree to hide. It ran 30 yards but I was shocked a deer would hide so well after being hit so hard.

I have found them under blow downs and roots overhanging a dry creek. Not what I expected then but more aware now. Good reading.

Jackey, congrats on your doe and glad the bullet worked out for you. My 8yr old grandson hopefully will be going out tomorrow afternoon to see if they can get him his first deer. He'll be using my old White 451 M97 that I was told was passed on to my son and now to his 8yr old son. Funny how your possessions gets distributed. But heck it's in the family and I'm tickled to death to see my grandchildren enjoying muzzle loading and hunting.

Ed

Well, my 8yr old grandson got his first deer yesterday during our early ML season here in Pennsylvania. He was hunting from a double tree stand with his dad and made a 40yd shot. He was nervous and had a little difficulty with the peep sight as the front bead to him covered a good portion of the deer. So when she turned broadside he fired. The shot was a little high, but I guess the shock was enough to drop it where she stood. To say the kid and my son were ecstatic is an understatement as my grandson had a smile on his face from ear to ear. I guess that light load of 50gr of 777-3F with the 350gr HP bullet was enough to get the job done. Guess I'll never see that 451 White M97 again. Good thing I have two of them. GRIN

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Awesome job gramp's :!: :!: I'm sure your shirt and hat is a little tight this morning :wink: CONGRATS to all :yeah:

Ray......

That's awesome Ed, congrats! Was it a complete pass through?

PS - that looks like a pretty laminate stock on that White.

way to score young man. That's a great deer and a great rifle you have there... :mrgreen:

Congrads to the young hunter as well as to you and your son. That is a nice fat looking Doe and will be great for the freezer!

That's a great looking young hunter you got there with his fine looking rifle that you donated to the cause. And he sure has put it to good work. May he use it for a very long time. CONGRAULATIONS

Sensational mate!

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to you and your grandson, when you see a smile like that, that is why I spend so much time with kids in Hunters Ed, and just to even see the smiles when they brake there first milk jug at 50 yds. is worth a million bucks. :yeah: :applause: :applause:

Excellent hunt. I have a 45 caliber G2 barrel and it appears that style of conical may work very well in it.

Back