Baby girl, cheap shots and a Traditions tracker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my deer on Monday. Baby girl ( now 25) and I went back down the Patch on Tuesday. She spots a deer out in the middle of the field between to swaths of corn. We had no cover for 200 yards of the 350 to the deer, so I said we'd just walk nicely to the edge and meet the deer there. Well that deer cooperated and we got set up. I caught a flash of white out of the corner of my eye and we were busted by a deer that came out of the woods. Well you probably guessed. The other deer took off. I was heartbroken. Valerie went out 1 day last year and hadn't been out at all in the previous 3 and I thought great! Blew that chance. We sat there though and talked abit and generally goofed off. Hunting with a daughter is an incredible HOOT! Anyway.. I was just about to tap her on the shoulder and suggest a move when I caught movement at the edge of the corn . I told her" we have company" but from her angle ( seated) she couldn't see it. She asked" where?" and I said "straight off the end of your nose" but no luck. I moved her rifle and told her to get on the scope when the deer moved and she said" got it!" I told her it was bald and the deer began heading for the woods. It slowed down at the edge and i gave it a call and it turned abit. i asked Valerie if she had it and she said yup so i told her to take it. BOOM..Whock! the deer recoiled back abit and took a big jump for the woods. Val turned to me and said "I GOT IT!" I said "yes you did didn't you?" Who is Death her bad self?! She handed me her Traditions Tracker ( 4x Redfield scope) and ran faster than I've ever seen her run for the spot where the deer disappeared. She got there and started her happy dance yelling" I got it I got it ". Her shot, 125 yards, was perfection. Went in just in front of the left shoulder, trashed the left lung took the top off the heart and buggered the right lung before breaking a rib and stopping under the hide on the right side. the deer made one jump and died. She's crosshaired 4 deer and 4 deer got a ride in the car. Her rifle is a Traditions Tracker with a Redfield 4x shooting a T/C Cheap Shot over 40gr( 32 by weight) of 3f T7 lit with a musket cap. Muzzle velocity ( chrono'd) 1350 fps. If you have a daughter(s) and they show any interest in hunting at all, move Heaven and earth if you have to but get them into the woods with you. Neither of you will regret it. My best days hunting EVER have been with my daughter Valerie.

Very cool!! Congratulations to your daughter and you. That is some fine shooting there.

Congrads to both of you! :yeah: :partyman: Sounds like a great day for both of you.

Great write up. My daughter hunts with me also. Makes for enjoyable hunting.

Congrats to your daughter. What a great hunt! Late season will by daughter's first hunt and I can't wait.

Wonderful story - You are a lucky Father to have your daughter hunting with you. Bless you both.
DaMitch

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Pretty cool story and congrats to the both of you. I also had the chance to hunt with my sons, before they married and moved away, and I know how you feel to hunt with your kids. Making memories with the kids :!: :!: :!: That's what it's all about. :wink:

Ray.......... :yeah:

Latest posts

Back