Great hunt with my gsp and muzzleloader!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Had a few days away up the high country on a private property for the beginning of this year's rut. Saw 80 deer for the trip, managed to take this doe my gsp Ellie pointed from 50m, down on the spot.
I did miss a buck from a quite easy shot but that's hunting!

Muzzy doe with Ellie
961461c2dda72356d74eb529180c4a85.jpg

Small buck and a few does
1484925cb01bcb9eb88bbf316fe8acf4.jpg

White doe and fawn
c131046b2e15756cd5267ef7412c5410.jpg

Some beautiful country.
7e260636236d17acd041408ac148abb2.jpg

Jp

congratulations on the deer. It looks like good eating.

Congrads on the Doe Jack. That looks like some real pretty country.

CONGRATS :!: :!: :!: Enjoy those tender back straps. :!: :!: :!:

Ray......... :yeah:

MY logic says using a dog while hunting deer just does not make sense. However you have proved my logic wrong. I would think the deer would smell the dog and just disappear. Any suggestions???? I know dogs will let you know of the animals way before we see them.

Will your dog also find a deer after shot and when the deer runs off. I located a dandy 8 pt I shot by going back to camp and using a friend's Jack russel terrier. Dog was on lease as state law regulates. Deer ended up about 500 yards in this thick Sh..... I could hardy crawl threw.

Without me using that dog, my story would be a sad story.
Martin Loader

For one thing I smell a whole lot more than my dog so I reckons they'll get a wiff of me first!
Theyd only smell the dog if you had the wind blowing towards them and in that case they'd smell me too. You have to hunt with the wind in your favour because of this for a start, having a dog there just enhances your chances of getting onto a deer you otherwise wouldn't know was there when the scent of a deer is being blown up a good dogs nostrils.
Using gundogs for deer is big in Australia and new Zealand. We don't stand hunt really here its mostly stalking or what you call still hunting so we always play to the wind as best we can.

And yes she's great at finding downed game and following up sign, still learning but I'm happy with her progress.

I don't doubt that story for a minute, never underestimate the power of a good dog!!

Latest posts

Back