First blood on my .45 Black Diamond

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Super 45 with a 1-20 twist shooting a .40 caliber 180 gr XTP in a tan Hornady ( MMP ? ) sabot over 50gr of 3f Swiss black. Shot a doe at 50 yards. Bang Flop. Bullet went in behind the right shoulder, broke a rib and punched a 2 inch wide permanent cavity through both lungs before exiting between 2 ribs leaving a 1 inch exit hole. I shot her on a crop damage ( red ) tag. This load is very polite on the shoulder and ears. Not so much on deer. I don't want to over stress the bullet as its rated to 1450 fps. I'm guessing( my Chrony took a wad to the display screen the other day :( ) about 1600 fps. I'm liking the .45, but it is a bit frustrating at times. Time will tell.

Congrads on the Doe. :applause: That is an early hunt. Do you have a place to hang them in a cooler with this heat?

Nice job! :D Always like bang flops... :yeah:

ShawnT said:
Congrads on the Doe. :applause: That is an early hunt. Do you have a place to hang them in a cooler with this heat?

That is exactly why I don't shoot them this time of year. I could shoot plenty on crop damage if I wanted, but its too dang hot!

We have an extra fridge, it will hold two, possibly three deer quartered out and placed in tubs. After 5-7 days of chilling, they're ready for processing.

Cool! :yeah: I always wanted to get a fridge for the farm just for that purpose.

I butchered her up as soon as I got home. LOVELY job... Bloody hornets got almost as much meat as I did! Put the meat in a barrel of ice to firm it up before the final cutting. My daughter's pit bull ( Hi Portia!) loved the scraps. This is the 2nd red tag deer I've shot and while legal, its hard not to feel like a poacher, shooting deer this soon. The farmer surely appreciates it though. The deer to a number on his crops...

Latest posts

Back