Sons first deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaware Dave

Reaction score
Hello all new to site, but been deer hunting exclusively w muzzle loader for past 10 years, (in DE only other option is shotgun).
Had absolute pleasure of starting off our first gun season by picking up my 2 younger sons from school at 3 and hightailing to one of our blinds for evening hunt.
As we left truck had small deer in field, and 5 turkeys on way to blind. Snuck in gently bumping all on way. next 1 1/2 hour had steady action from deer beyond range, particularly for 8 year old, different group of turkey come out between us and truck, joined by original 5. have deer now feeding just beyond 100yds. but opt to wait for closer shot.
Continue to check on turkeys, some what challenging to keep 4 year old interested even with all game around us.
Check behind us one more time an very nice buck is standing just clear of wood line.
Rapid reshuffle to open window, need to move both chairs, turkey notice movement start leaving field, hand my Traditions rifle to son, while telling younger to be quit an hold still. Buck turns around head now obscured by brush of wood edge, appears to be about to step back into wood. Son says he can't make shot bout 90 yds. wants me to shoot, he was planning on starting w small deer. hands rifle back, I quickly line up, but as I find deer in scope, he turns back towards us and begins steady walk towards us.
All seeming to good to be true, hand rifle back, 4 year old crouching w fingers in ears, I tell him to find him in scope, watch him, be ready to shot when he stops, buck closes to 60 yds, turns to 45degree to us stops. After all our broadside shot imaging, picking lung aim point... not happening. I tell him to aim for front shoulder 1/2way down, expecting about 4" high impact.

Boom..... smoke....... deer in exactly same position........ back end falls. down...... head up for second..spine shot ....start reloading as fast as I can. telling both to watch for him to get up...... by the time gun is restuffed he is motionless... of course clipped spine on way in but destroyed offside lung.
nice typical 8pt, trying to upload pics, any suggestion's?

Congrads to your son and you! :applause: Great to see you taking the boys with you, but you all will remember it for a lifetime! :yeah:

As for the pictures, there is a size limit to uploading and they are small. Best way to post a picture is to upload it to an offsite host like Photobucket, then just post the img link in your post and the picture will show up when you post it.

Great hunt, priceless memories!

I wish we could start our kids that young here in NS. Here for large game (deer, bear, moose) you have to be 16yrs and remain under the supervision of an adult until they are 18yrs old. Waterfowl, upland birds and rabbits can be hunted starting at 12yrs old.

I share your pride, my son shot his first deer yesterday too. We both shot nice does yesterday in the rain, making it my best day hunting for a lifetime!

Congratulations to your young hunter.

Nice big deer! Congrats!!

That boy is "ruined" fer sher! Heck of a nice deer to start his hunting life - congrats to all! Especially the little one for being a part of it all.

Congrats to you and your Son I live here in Maryland so Sat will be opening day for me

Great memories for sure!
Keep them in the woods. The little one may need a ipod to keep him occupied in the stand?

Congrats to the guys. Bet he told that story at school more than once when he got there.
Way to go. Sounds like some turkey hunting in the spring too.
Don

Yea we have it good here, have to say reading other threads, that we are extremely lucky here in good old DE with season length and allowed number of taken deer.
This was first muzzleloader season, week long starts 2nd week of Oct. all deer legal, every other weekend fri-sat in Oct is antlerless.
First sat in Nov is youth deer, second Fri thru 3rd sat is VERY popular shotgun, but muzzleloader are legal.

Finally in break now till mid Dec. moving blinds ect. next week of antlerless starts Dec 12, for me good opportunity to warm up new Optima handgun.

Handgun any kind over 40 cal starts first week Jan all deer legal

3rd week late shotgun, again muzzleloader legal
4th late muzzleloader. My personal favorite, nobody within 10 miles hunting but me!!!

Basic license comes w 4 antlerless tags, quality buck, plus small buck for additional $10

Remember shooting my first buck similar to this one, but smaller. Grew up on the Potomac and hunted a farm the had a Mason-Dixon marker in the front yards.
Thanks for sharing.

JStanley said:
That boy is "ruined" fer sher! Heck of a nice deer to start his hunting life - congrats to all! Especially the little one for being a part of it all.

Thats what I was thinking :D

Congrats to you guys, awesome job and lots of great memories! :yeah:

Congrats! I lived in DE for quite a while. Hunted public mostly. Great first (or any) deer for your son!

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back