Leaving the rut with a bang!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
G'day guys,

Been a while between drinks for me, you know how it is life just gets in the way of things.

At any rate, I finally managed to take a good free range stag with my smoke pole. Roared him into 20m, front on shot through the base of the neck and when the smoke cleared there he laid!

It was my second last hornady xtp magnum 240gn with 110gn alliant MZ. Gunna miss em when I'm out, that's 5 deer from 6 shots, and one was a miss!

He's pretty narrow but nice and tall, 6x6, I'm wrapped and my gsp worked a charm all rut. Even got her first stag, an old ten point.

7ee279a5ce797674709a29d7c2d75d39.jpg

e02fad4ffb0d3c736051483b65f46bc1.jpg

And this is the stag my gsp indicated me to, shot with a 300wm from 30m roaring his heart out.
dcb7d917d8f7aa7a11da6c7bcfd2a523.jpg

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Re: Leaving the rut with a bang!

Almost forgot, this is the entry hole, yes you heard me correctly!

Cheers

Jp

93c3a27bd94559fb91a39bd4f03676c0.jpg

Re: RE: Re: Leaving the rut with a bang!

BuckDoeHunter said:
Congrats! Nice looking animal :yeah: I'm not familiar with the stags you have there, how much did that one weigh?

Cheers mate,

Same as the stags in nz, just not behind wire so the antlers aren't as big, this guy is a medium size animal maybe around 440lb ish.

Hey welcome back JP, and congrats on more successful hunts.

Congratulations nice looking animal, good shooting

Congrads on the stag :applause:
When is the rut for them??And thats a big hole too but at 20m he's taken all the energy that bullet has

bp45cal said:
Congrads on the stag :applause:
When is the rut for them??And thats a big hole too but at 20m he's taken all the energy that bullet has
Early autumn, through April. It'd be similar to your elk equivalent I reckon.
Yeh the poor fella didn't stand much of a chance

Welcome back JP! Great shooting and some nice Stags! :yeah:

Bet those are Great eating too.

Congrats! That's a nice one, great job putting him down :yeah:

You said your second to last XTP... can you not get any more there? Could you order from the US or not allowed?

WV Hunter said:
Congrats! That's a nice one, great job putting him down :yeah:

You said your second to last XTP... can you not get any more there? Could you order from the US or not allowed?
I ordered more march 2015, the gunshot guy I'm my town is pretty slack still hasn't put the order in. I have around 100 300gn hornady fpb's so ill just run them.

Very impressive animal and entry hole. Congratulations!

cayuga said:
Very impressive animal and entry hole. Congratulations!
Thanks mate [THUMBS UP SIGN]

The entrance hole suffers from the blowback effect. Your bullet didn't blow up, it had more hydraulic shock than could get out of the way. It's similar to slapping your hand down in the pool. The little geyser that follows is blowback.
Most commonly seen in close range shots. I hit a doe at 15 feet one time. The entrance wound was fist sized. Thought the Cheap Shot ( 240 gr 45 cal lead hollow point) blew up. That is until I found it under the off side hide. Bravo on the stag!

Back