CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Muzzleloading Dove Hunt

Did you shoot something with your muzzleloader this year? If so talk about it here! If you can, please post a picture so we can all see!

Moderators: sabotloader, cayuga, Senior Moderators

Newtire

Muzzleloading Dove Hunt

Postby Newtire » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:58 am

A friend of mine called me up for dove hunting so went over with my M-12 Winchester and got a limit easily. We each had a Mojo Dove Voodoo decoy and the doves were going crazy over them [Worked so much better than the duck decoy they make]. The next day, I took out my N.R. Davis 11 gauge double. Using equal volume loading of 1 oz. and 1-1/8 oz. loads of #7 and Alliant Black MZ, a Nitro Card over the powder and 2-overshot wads, the doves took a beating. I got only 7 doves the first day with the muzzle loader but had more fun than the first day when I limited out with my modern gun. I have a nice picture of that as my desktop but can't figure how to post pictures on this forum.

BuckDoeHunter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Muzzleloading Dove Hunt

Postby BuckDoeHunter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:49 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun! :yeah:

52Bore
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby 52Bore » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Dove hunting with a ML is unbelievable, especially in a good dove field.
Years ago, my uncle and I were hunting in a great private field. The owner put us handicappers (ML) in the one of the better spots, we smoked them - literally! We (our ML) got the nickname - Diesel. Someone yelled across the field - "who the hell is shooting those Diesels?" I think everyone heard it and got a good laugh.

Idaholewis
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Idaholewis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 am

Newtire wrote:A friend of mine called me up for dove hunting so went over with my M-12 Winchester and got a limit easily. We each had a Mojo Dove Voodoo decoy and the doves were going crazy over them [Worked so much better than the duck decoy they make]. The next day, I took out my N.R. Davis 11 gauge double. Using equal volume loading of 1 oz. and 1-1/8 oz. loads of #7 and Alliant Black MZ, a Nitro Card over the powder and 2-overshot wads, the doves took a beating. I got only 7 doves the first day with the muzzle loader but had more fun than the first day when I limited out with my modern gun. I have a nice picture of that as my desktop but can't figure how to post pictures on this forum.

That sounds like a BUNCH of fun!!
“Only accurate rifles are interesting” Col. Townsend Whelen

03mossy

Postby 03mossy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 am

Great... another thing just got added to the bucket list! That sounds like so much fun!
T/C Omega .50
White Lightning .50
Knight Mountaineer .45 1-20"
Knight Littlehorn .50
Apparently I have no brand loyalty...anybody got a CVA for sale... :think:

03mossy

Postby 03mossy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 am

Great... another thing just got added to the bucket list! That sounds like so much fun!
T/C Omega .50
White Lightning .50
Knight Mountaineer .45 1-20"
Knight Littlehorn .50
Apparently I have no brand loyalty...anybody got a CVA for sale... :think:

Return to “Muzzleloader Success Stories”