Opening day buck with the Acura MR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
Today was the opening day of muzzleloader season here in Virginia and I took my Acura MR out hoping for some opening day success.

I had done very little bowhunting this season, so my scouting knowledge wasn't where it usually would be. I simply set up before sunrise in a spot I knew would let me overlook a small field that has several trails intersecting. I was shooting in an impromptu ground blind where there was a small clearing inside some scrub. My back was to a heavy thicket and I had an excellent field of view of the trails where I assumed the deer would come from, about 80 yards opposite my position.

Sunrise came and an hour or so passed without any movement. I suddenly remembered when I was driving our other family car the night before the gas was very low and i had forgotten to fuel it up. I picked up my phone planning to text to the spouse so she could factor a gas run into her schedule when I had this feeling of being watched.

I looked up and a big buck was staring right T me no more than 15 yards away. He had apparently moved out of the thicket just off to my right.

As the buck starting to slowly move I raised my rifle from my lap to my shoulder. He froze, staring at me again. I was sure he'd spook, and give me fleeting glance as he disappeared into the cover on the opposite side, but he started browsing.

I cocked the hammer and it sounded like a church bell in that clearing. Once again he froze, looked directly at me then in a few moments lost interest.

Deciding to waste no more time, I put the crosshairs just behind and slightly below the shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

I saw him react to the hit, he stumbled and his legs looked ready to buckle. I thought he was going down, but apparently one last adrenaline surge gave him the energy to regain his balance then take off for a 30 yard run upon which he collapsed in the middle of the biggest patch of burs I've ever seen.

683EA6EC-77F5-4B91-BE96-F075DE9FE030_zpsamruddri.jpg

300 grain XTP Mag did its job well. Both lungs were destroyed along with the 1/3 of the heart. Complete through shot with a big entrance wound and a bigger exit.

313431D4-FEB8-48FF-BCCA-1325F1613776_zpssm0xrk2o.jpg

Edited: Typos from using my phone

Wow that is a great buck you shot there. Glad to hear the XTP mag did the job.

Very nice! What part of Virginia are you from? I was born in portsmouth but we moved when I was really young. I want to go back and see it one day.

How many burrs did you get on you?

silentstalker said:
Very nice! What part of Virginia are you from? I was born in portsmouth but we moved when I was really young. I want to go back and see it one day.

How many burrs did you get on you?

A few burrs were acquired:

1A439B14-2B93-4688-9806-9BB0568F18AE_zps770ulcip.jpg

I live in the Leesburg area, and the farm I was hunting is in Lovettsville right along the Potomac River. In fact, the spot where I was sitting was a long stones throw from the river.

Good hunting strategy. When I hunt somewhere I'm not familiar with I like to be in a place where I can see long distances. I also do it with my crossbow.Those burrs were well worth it it.

Congrats on a fine buck & great hunt. Really enjoyed the story too!

JStanley said:
Congrats on a fine buck & great hunt. Really enjoyed the story too!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. It was a surreal encounter. I've never had a deer so close to me, clearly aware on some level of my presence and not seem to care one bit. I was moving very slow, but still I could tell the buck noticed, but maybe he didn't process it as a threat.

I didn't have much vegetation between us, but I was wearing head to toe (except for the orange hat) camouflage, including a facemask and gloves, so maybe there was enough break up that my movements didn't register as being a danger. I was expecting the deer to come into the field much farther away from my position, and in my experience as long as you have 50+ yards between you and the deer, slow careful movements behind some concealment don't even register.

I hunted the same field two more times since my original post, moving my location. The second hunt I had a nice 6 point come right out into the field from a similar spot as the 7 pointer I shot. Due to regulations in my county, I had to let him walk. On the third hunt, I saw a 4 pointer pushing a small doe, and let them both walk as well.

Nice work! :yeah:
I live about an hour west of you... we've started to see bucks chasing does some. My son killed a nice 6 on Monday...hope to post it up here when I get time to. Them are some ugly burrs for sure!!! :lol:

Congrats! I'll finally get in the blind over Thanksgiving weekend and I can't wait.

Latest posts

Back