First Deer w/ new Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Got a deer my new MK-85. She came to a cover field with a group of four similar sized does. I usually don't shoot them so little but I have a deal with the rancher who wants a good number of does shot. I waited until last light and when nothing bigger showed up I took her. About 110 yards with a 300 Scorpion PT Gold over 100 grains of T7. I know for a lot of you 110 is nothing. It is by far my longest shot with a muzzleloader, I was nervous about it but had a good rest. She didn't make it 15 yards and rolled over. I always wanted an Mk-85. Its not perfect especially after a week in the briars with me, but for the $100 I spent I'm pretty happy.

Congrads! I know some don't like shooting the small ones but they are so Tender and Tasty, I am more of a Meat hunter myself. Plus if the rancher needs some thinned out who are we to argue. :wink: Those MKs are great rifles. I paid the same amount for my Blued 54 so if your SS was in great condition you did good! Congrads again! :yeah:

Congratulations on taking a wonderful eating deer. And congratulations on making that shot. Any shot on a deer can and often is tricky. I have set a 75 yard limit on myself for unscoped rifle, and 125 on scoped. I am always amazed at these people shooting 200 and even 300 yards with their rifles. That to me is impressive shooting.

Speaking of small deer, a friend one year in a antler-less zone where you had to shoot an antler-less before you could shoot a buck, took a deer so small, I swear you could see hints of spots on it. Now when someone shoots a small one, we call them a Webber. As that deer was so small you could have cooked the entire thing on a Webber Grill.

Thanks guys. I really like this new Knight. Killed a big doe with it this evening.

Congrats on some fine freezer fare! That MK-85 will never let you down.

Good shooting and I know that little doe will be delicious.

I hunt a farm where I have a similar arrangement as you do. Landowner wants the deer population kept down, and isn't interested in giving permission to hunters who are simply going to wait for a big trophy buck. He wants hunters on his property who will kill deer, kill lots of deer.

So I shoot a fair number of small deer, frankly some that if I was on public land or private land where there wasn't a push to curb population I'd let them walk. The upside is my family has discovered that young deer are delicious, and my better half will ask me if I can get some "veal-ison". :D

Latest posts

Back