Decent VA buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last Monday 11/7 my son took a decent buck for our area with his MK-85. He got home from work at 4:30, texted me to find out what stand I was in...scrambled to get ready and headed out. He was in the stand by about 4:45. At 5:00 I hear a shot. A few minutes later I see a lone doe coming along from the direction of the shot. I knew at that point that he probably got one. The bucks in our area don't get real big...but we still try and hold out for a "nice" one. I knew if I heard the shot, it was probably a decent buck.

So I get a phone call, he tells me it came following a doe, and he put him down. Was probably a 50yd shot. I got down and headed over.
The pics we took that night aren't that great...light was fading. He had to work the next day while I got to cut the deer up... :roll: so the only clear pics I could get were just of the deer. Pretty decent buck for around our area... probably about 100" but no brows on this one for some reason. We had this buck on game camera from back in the late summer. He was happy... his biggest ML buck so far :yeah: :D

0de74287-bceb-4e4a-980e-9c71c4ba2213_zpse9t0zb1q.png

0c36e711-0c2f-47e5-a9ea-552c9b4f5310_zpsg05ap8qb.jpg

Nice buck and a good looking symmetrical rack. I would have never let that one walk by either. Congratulations

Congrads to your Son Mike! :applause:

All you guys getting to hunt right now is really getting me stirred up, but I have to wait till week from Monday. :wall:

BuckDoeHunter said:
Congrats! Nice Buck :yeah:

Why is it, they shoot 'em and we clean 'em :?: ; cutting up my son's buck tonight :huh?:

Haha. Its what we do I guess. :D
Although he's never not helped if I ask, and when we shoot a pile in WV every year he does a good bit.
This time we got him hung up and he cooled out nicely overnight (29*). Unfortunately he had to go to work at 6am, so no help cutting this one up. Was 60* by noon, so I had to get it done. I was just glad he got him the night he did...the following night it only got down to 48*.

Hey, I'll cut up deer any day if I can see a kid smile by getting a nice one :yeah:

ShawnT said:
Congrads to your Son Mike! :applause:

All you guys getting to hunt right now is really getting me stirred up, but I have to wait till week from Monday. :wall:

Thanks Shawn :yeah:
Yeah, I really like having the 2 week early ML season before the masses hit the woods. We are heading to WV tomorrow for the week, rifle opens Monday. Its our whack em and stack em week. Good luck on your hunt Shawn! :yeah:

Nice! Congratulations to your son. good buck.

Just curious, how many deer are you able to hunt there? Sounds like several, and that you guys have really good deer populations. The deer up here grow big, but we don't have high densities (except in town! LoL), The most you'd be able to shoot here is two, one on an archery/muzzleloader tag, and another on a general deer season tag (centerfire/shotgun/muzzleloader/archery). Not too many folks fill two tags a season. Always envied the high deer populations and bag limits in some of the states. LoL

God luck to you guys in your 'rack em & stack em' season!

Congratulations to your son! That is a fine VA buck. I hunt northern Loudoun Co, and I would have dropped that one in a heartbeat.

ALW said:
Nice! Congratulations to your son. good buck.

Just curious, how many deer are you able to hunt there? Sounds like several, and that you guys have really good deer populations. The deer up here grow big, but we don't have high densities (except in town! LoL), The most you'd be able to shoot here is two, one on an archery/muzzleloader tag, and another on a general deer season tag (centerfire/shotgun/muzzleloader/archery). Not too many folks fill two tags a season. Always envied the high deer populations and bag limits in some of the states. LoL

God luck to you guys in your 'rack em & stack em' season!

ALW... we hunt VA & WV... and yes, we have high populations for sure. More so in WV than where I am in VA. We shoot about 40+ a year as a group on our WV farm...probably 90% does, and it doesn't make a difference. Last year opening week on Thanksgiving morning we had 18 hanging that we butchered that morning. :yeah:
For rifle season...we can kill 3 does in the county I hunt in WV, and up to 2 bucks. There is also bow and muzzleloader seasons, if you have those tags you can take more. I usually shoot 2-3 does and hold out for a nice buck. In VA we have liberal limits also. I'm not even sure what it is...I don't shoot does where I live, only hold out for a nice buck which doesn't happen too often. Its quite a few though.

I'll admit, I'd probably have a hard time hunting places with lesser populations. The tradeoff is our deer are not big typically, rack or body. A real good one where I hunt will go about 115", and mature bucks weigh about 100-120 dressed usually.

Its fun and fills the freezer, but I ain't gonna hold out for a 140" buck, thats for sure. I'd never kill another one. :lol:

Tannhauser said:
Congratulations to your son! That is a fine VA buck. I hunt northern Loudoun Co, and I would have dropped that one in a heartbeat.

Loudoun... land of the giants :mrgreen: I had a place there one time many moons ago, man there are some whoppers killed in that county! Good luck :yeah:

I filled my first antlered tag opening day of ML with a nice VA 7 point, and since we have Earn-A-Buck I needed to shoot 2 antlerless before a second buck.

I never connected with a shot at anything without antlers the rest of the season, so I was watching a lot of bucks walk. I saw one massive 8 pointer walk out of the wood line and it was the biggest deer I had ever seen in person. He was an old sway backed monster. So yes, there are some big ones here for sure.

Wow! You guys must have some pile of deer. It would be very interesting to hunt in an area with such generous bag limits. You must see as many deer by noon as we do all season some years here. LoL

Have fun! :yeah:

Latest posts

Back