White Thins the Herd

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStanley

Reaction score
Been hearing about a really good buck crossing from the neighboring farm's woods onto our land chasing does around our cut cornfield before heading deep into our woods so I decided to put a pop-up blind in the field and see what turned up myself. There are a couple of power poles that run across the field around which there is a nasty tangle of briar bushes & saplings. I tucked the blind up against the briars beside the pole and had a commanding view all around the field all the way to our woodline. About 30 minutes before last light, two mature does crossed the road into our field and started feeding nervously. I watched them for a while as they kept looking back over their shoulders towards the neighbor's woods - hoping the big feller was approaching. 10 minutes later two more does cross the road, a mom and her yearling and all the looking over shoulders stops - dang it! They fed for about 5 more minutes or so and started heading for a trail entering our woods and I thought, I'd like a big tasty doe for the freezer so I picked one out that gave me a nice broadside shot at 110 yds. Settled the S-91 .451 on my shooting stick, put the Williams fire sight front bead in the middle of the Lyman SME 57 aperture right behind her front "elbow" and squeezed. At the boom, it was all white flags & smoke! I watched them enter the woods, noted the position and listened......within just a few seconds-CRASH. Sounded very promising. As I was taking a deep breath and feeling good about the shot I noticed more movement in the area they were standing. The yearling had started running in circles at the shot and never left the field. :think: I thought for a few seconds and decided that would be some mighty fine eating too! She didn't have spots but she didn't weigh much more than 90-100 lbs. I calmly grabbed a Lane's tube of powder (70 gr Scheutzen 3f) from my buttstock shell holder, poured, grabbed another tube with a NoExcuse 460 gr. like the one that just dropped her mom and loaded up. Add a RWS primer from around my neck, settle on the shooting stick and boom-full freezer in the space of 90 seconds! The mature doe was laying about 15 yds into the woods, bullet nicked the back edge of the shoulder blade, turned right across the top of the heart and exited just in front of the off shoulder at the base of the neck. The yearling was standing at 140 yds and was hit in the center of the shoulder blade and the exit was just under the off shoulder blade. Found her laying about 20 yds from the other doe in the woods also. While tracking the two, I could hear the other two does blowing at me from deeper in the woods the whole time. Really fun evening! AND with the cold snap we've been having in KY, I decided to let them hang a couple days to age a bit before "disassembling" them to table cuts.

What a great hunt! Two does will fill your freezer with some delicious meat. I just had backstraps our of my freezer from a yearling I culled last season and the meat was amazing.

I've never doubled on a ML hunt, but I hope to someday. Nice shooting by the way. :D

Thanks! That S-91 is a crazy-good shooter. Some of the DWB's call them "boringly accurate".

Great story and very nice shooting there. Your freezer will be wonderful this winter. I never shot a White 91 but I am sure its as accurate as my M97 or more so. Every White Rifle I own is a good shooter. And you just proved it. I shoot 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f and that same bullet. The accuracy is scary. And obviously as you proved, lethal. Great Story and more good luck wishes in your hunting.

Congrads on the full freezer! Love to get a doe and those little ones are very tender and tasty too!

All you guys with those Whites are making me want one. :D

JStanley said:
Thanks! That S-91 is a crazy-good shooter. Some of the DWB's call them "boringly accurate".
Can't imagine who would say such a thing... :lol: Congrats as well on the double! Where I live in VA I can only take one deer/day unless I go east, but thats fine with me, lots of work getting them freezer ready, but well worth it!

JStanley said:

Never heard that one before? :lol: Great story by the way! The only problem with harvesting two is it's double the work, but the rewards/eating is twice as good. GRIN

I'm hoping to put my 465gr conicals to work this year?? But hunting on state game lands is getting tougher to harvest anything these days. :cry:

edmehlig said:
I'm hoping to put my 465gr conicals to work this year?? But hunting on state game lands is getting tougher to harvest anything these days. :cry:
Is it the pumpkin army or are deer scarce on public land by you?

edmehlig said:
Both but more lack of deer as there is very little shooting as well.
Same here in Western VA, Ed. When I would hunt the National Forrest here in the 80's an 90's it sounded like a small war was going on, especially on hunters choice days. I went up there last year and again this year on the last day and only heard a few shots that were very far off, and never saw a deer. We did find some fresh rubs from this year, but not a deer was moving. No body was hunting them and pushing them like before.

The older forest just don't have the mast and food for big game, deer/turkey so they go down to private lands and eat corn/beans etc.

Not to mention the county just north of me has cronic wasting disease and probably some others we don't know about yet.

Back