Second 2016 Harvest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Again, CVA Accura V2, Barnes 250 Expander, 100 grains BH 209, 40 yards, quartering to me. I almost lost this one. It took him a while to give me an ethical shot at 40 yards. I watched his direction of travel, picked a clear lane with no obstructions, and put my crosshairs on it. He was exiting a cutover into a creek bottom; as he was entering the creek bottom, he would take a step, stop, look...repeat. Anyway, when he stepped into my chosen lane I shot, but it was clear he took an extra step as my booger hook activated the bang switch. I have never seen anything like his reaction. He stopped, looked, turned around right where he was 270 degrees, and bedded down.

I reloaded, but I did not want to shoot him on the ground, gave him about 30 minutes, and climbed down. While climbing down, he got up walked 15 feet and bedded down again. I gave him another 30 minutes upon hitting the ground out of my stand. I walked over to him, and about 10 feet away, he got up and ran tucked tail into the cutover about twenty feet. I backed out and came back an hour later with my wonderful neighbors to recover him. We jumped him twice (I know, bad decision), and decided t leave him alone for the night. We went back today and got him. Smelly.

Long story short, gut/liver shot and exited through his left rear ham. That extra step or two really made the difference...10 inches or so to the right, DRT. As it was, overnight stress and little to no blood trail.

Thank you for your sacrifice brother.

Attachments

• Image-982495757.jpg
    Image-982495757.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,183
good job on the recovery . i dont understand why you wouldn't shoot at a bedded deer. if you knew he was hit and still on the move if pushed you should have done the humane thing and put him out. Thas just my point of view i pretty sure i would have . In fact i always have if i was able to get a second shot at the deer

I would second the comment on a second shot, it would have been a wise move it that situation.

At the ranges you are talking, a neck shot should have been fairly easy, ended his suffering, anchored your game, and wasted nothing as far as meat.

just my 2 cents, but I have had similar situations end with lost animals

I applaud you for finally getting your deer, but like others have said, I would have shot him again as soon as I got in range. I have done it, more times than I like to think about in the past. I had to shoot a doe last year in the same situation as above.

This year I shot a mature doe with the .3006 Remington at 130 yds. and she had to have taken a step at the shot. I saw her mule kick and run off tail down, but no sign of a hit, blood/hair nothing. I followed her down the trail where they have gone in the past an found her in the field just outside the wood line. The shot was a liver shot and exited just inside the gut on the opposite side, but didn't open the guts (whew). I'm just glad I found her and she bled to death internally or the buzzards would have eaten very good for a couple days.

Latest posts

Back