Got my first deer with a ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1rGr1nG0

Reaction score
It was also my first deer in over 30 years! I haven't hunted since high school. My uncle and grandfather got us into hunting growing up. Some of the best times of my life were spent with those guys either hunting or fishing. Well, papaw died about 30 years ago and that kind of took the wind out of our sails. Eventually I left home and moved on with life but the urge to get back out in the woods never really left. It was just hidden a little. My uncle passed about 5 years ago and at that time I pretty much figured my days hunting were just a memory of my youth.

This past weekend I finally got the chance to hunt a buddies place up in the Texas hill country. It's a small place but there are deer moving through it quite a bit. I took my new CVA Optima V2 out for her maiden voyage and wouldn't you know it, about an hour or so after getting into the blind, out stepped a small buck. Admittedly it wasn't a "monster" buck but it was a deer! He stepped out from behind some cedar trees about 30 yards down hill from me.
I steadied myself and squeezed off the shot. I hit him perfectly right behind his right shoulder and he dropped right there on the spot with a clean double lung shot.

Here's to you papaw and uncle Jack. Thanks for being there.

Congratulation on making new memories, and reliving some old. Also the meat in the freezer is a real bonus.

Congratulations!! Great story and know this. Your Dad and Uncle Jack were with you. I'm surprised you didn't here them telling you "Great Shot, Way to Go" and didn't fell them slapping you on the back and giving you hugs.

GLAD TO HERE IT.NEVER GOT A DEER WITH A M.L. YET BUT WILL TRY THIS SEASON,NEVER GOT INTO MUZZLE LOADERS TILL I MOVED DOWN TO KY. ABOUT EIGHT YRS. AGO.A FRIEND OF MINE GOT ME IN TO IT, I BOUGHT A CVA WOLF 50 CAL.REALLY WANT TO HUNT WITH MY TRIDITIONS DEER HUNTER SIDE LOCK ALSO .50 CAL.REALLY LIKE ALL THE INFO I'M FINDING ON THIS FORUM.

Latest posts

Back