Thanksgiving Hog Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaware Dave

Reaction score
So living in southern Delaware, we enjoy excellent deer hunting , but are far from any significant population of feral hogs.

As wife an I planed family trip to Orlando during thanksgiving week, I saw the chance to go try this new to me game animal.

Online research found Georgia to have year round legal night hunting for hogs, so trip was booked with Hogwild USA in central Georgia.

Thanksgiving day after securing rental car for wife and 2 younger sons, oldest Jaxon and I head to Macon GA, to hunting cabin, quick check of sighting of my Traditions rifle, and optima v2 pistol, and we headed out as darkness set.
I had elected to hunt all night from ground blind, brought mat and sleeping bag for Jax.
Round 8 watching with FLIR I see a pig with a single piglet, figuring they would feed on bait, I try to show to Jax, but they are gone before we can take any action.

About a hour later a large bear visits feeder, then ambles our direction, passing around 20' away, would never have seen or heard without FLIR, but am able to record video on it.

Rest of night possoms and raccoons.

Talk with outfitter, he says drought is making hog hunting tough, but has a good day spot watching wallow.

Go back to cabin, I grab couple hours sleep, we head back out at noon.

Get setup and within hour have 3 young males go through, but trying to get Jax shot, we miss our one opportunity for standing shot.

Little later another group comes, dives in wallow, as they climb out, one gives me shot 120yds, aim couple inches behind ear, drop her, flops back into water, but soon still.

over next hour watch several young ones move in and out, but either distance to great for jax 80 yds+, or they trot through openings.

so we climb down and approach one of the busier trails, soon on comes walking down it heading towards us, Jax has gun rested on large log, I am waiting for pig to stop,...Boom.. pig kicking on its side, very proud dad. I'm guessing with the low angle approach the movement was pretty minimal for him, but he hit within 1" of eye, mine at base of skull-neck, no meat damage. 2 happy first time wild pig hunters.

That night saw couple deer, lot raccoons came in at 10:30 to get nuff sleep to make 12 hr drive home next day

Attachments

• rsz_kimg0906.jpg
    rsz_kimg0906.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 287
  • rsz_kimg0909 (1).jpg
    rsz_kimg0909 (1).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 287
Hey nice job! Sounds like a great trip! Congrats to you both! :applause: :yeah:

So a couple questions.. what did the hunt cost? How could you see at night? And most importantly...what the heck did you do with them hogs :lol: :lol:

$650 with use of cabin.

Flir ocean scout thermal camera.

Skinned. gut, and split in half, packed in one of my canyon bags w ice, brought home, butchered Sunday, small one was left as half hog am planning to roast this weekend.
There was local processor, I think they shipped meat to home address, but I do most of my own butchering..

Great job!!

Buddy of mine has one of those FLIR scouts. Very cool. Would love to get one for hunting heavy woods as they work almost equally well in daytime.

Congratulations on the hog hunt. Sure looked like a good time.

Back