Not successful, but still a success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my favorite spots was TOTALLY screwed up 10 years ago when the county opened the game preserve to hikers, bikers and archers. It ruined the state gamelands across the road. From 93 to 06, never had a year that I didn't at least get a shot. Until this year, hadn't seen a deer since 06.
Well. This year I sat in an area I walked through hundreds of times, but never sat in. Opening day I missed the biggest buck I have ever personally seen. A 10 with an inside spread going about 5 inches past his ears. Just not quite enough light for the open sights on my Lyman Great Plains.Wanted to die...
Yesterday, I was REALLY cold and shivering so badly I flubbed a 75 yard offhand shot with my 45 Black Diamond on a huge doe. Moved to a spot to get into the sun to warm up. Left my shooting sticks where I had been...
It is so great to find a favorite spot productive again. Even though I didn't tag that buck, it was awesome just to have seen him.
There is 2nd archery though...

It's good to see deer even if, for whatever reason, the shot doesn't happen. I can understand your frustration with widespread recreational development of public gamelands.

It is public land, so the public has a right to use it, but when trails are being cut all over the place for mountain bikers to the detriment of the hunting, it bothers me. This is my experience on the nearest public WMA in my state. I wish the wardens would at least work the area a few days a year to make sure the hikers, bikers and horseback riders have in possession either the hunting license or use permit they are required under state law.

I hear ya. The Trexler Game Preserve was set up by Trexler to be a zero access area. Then Lehigh county, who holds title to the land ( via his will) with the provision that it would stay zero access, got a bunch of lawyers and... A pox on all their houses.
Most of this deer season, county crews were bush hogging off autumn olive cover. A LOT of cover. Buzzed it right to the ground. Noisy buggers...
Here in Penn., our Game Commission is not taxpayer funded. There has been talk about use fees on game lands ( public hunting ground), but then permit holders would get their say in things(cuz they're paying for it). No need to open Pandora's Box... Hikers/bikers have turned the preserve into a garbage dump. Don't need that on the game lands.

Latest posts

Back