525 yd doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
after several years of range work and load development my confidence was where it needed to be to take a true long range attempt and ethic shot on a whitetail. during this season i have taken several does pushing the 400 yd mark but wanted to test myself and gear.
im shooting a custom 700ml with jewell trigger and 28" rockcreek 1-16 twist 8R barrel with harrell break fitted in a mcree aluminium chassis topped with murphy base , vortex rings and vortex hst 4-16x44 scope. load is 84 gr of H322 with smooth form 344 bombs and federal 209a primer. i have tested this load extensively to 750 yds and have very good ballistics.

tonight had a opportunity to go to a very large cut beanfield with my shooting partner to setup and see what happened. 36 degrees and a very steady 15 mph crosswind challenging for sure. but deer moved out into field at 5:00 pm which gave us good light . my buddy picked out biggest doe in field and said she was at 525 yds and wind steady 10mph plus more like 15mph. doped scope 12.5 minute elevation and 7 minute right just as ballistic chart said im thinking thats 36 3/4" drift wow. settled crosshairs on center of shoulder and squeezed trigger. i was very confident but honestly was amazed when she hit the ground like a truck ran her over. needless to say big smiles and great memory afield with a great friend.

everything worked out great and these 344 bombs are just that BOOM-DEAD 5 years ago never dreamed this was possible with a muzzleloader and one i built. thanks to all who has helped me along . HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Amazing shot! I wouldn't attempt that with a centerfire in any cross wind. Much less a ML.
Shows you know your kit and trust it, along with good skills.
Congrats and happy new year with venison in the freezer!

Great Shot. Congrads on the long range clean kill. Shows all the work at the range paid off.

Oh man, all I can say is congrats, great job, on the gun, your skills and confidence

Yes, great job!!! I was shocked you used smokeless powder. I thought you were a BH guy all the time. Yes I know it has smokeless properties but you know what I mean. :D

wow that is pretty wild! quite the snipe! got my ulite barrel sitting on my desk here at work about to be packed, will be shipped out your way today!

Grouse said:
Yes, great job!!! I was shocked you used smokeless powder. I thought you were a BH guy all the time. Yes I know it has smokeless properties but you know what I mean. :D
Thanks yes typically always blackhorn but wanted to learn first hand to broaden knowledge of sml

Back