Muzzleloading Dove Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtire

Reaction score
A friend of mine called me up for dove hunting so went over with my M-12 Winchester and got a limit easily. We each had a Mojo Dove Voodoo decoy and the doves were going crazy over them [Worked so much better than the duck decoy they make]. The next day, I took out my N.R. Davis 11 gauge double. Using equal volume loading of 1 oz. and 1-1/8 oz. loads of #7 and Alliant Black MZ, a Nitro Card over the powder and 2-overshot wads, the doves took a beating. I got only 7 doves the first day with the muzzle loader but had more fun than the first day when I limited out with my modern gun. I have a nice picture of that as my desktop but can't figure how to post pictures on this forum.

Dove hunting with a ML is unbelievable, especially in a good dove field.
Years ago, my uncle and I were hunting in a great private field. The owner put us handicappers (ML) in the one of the better spots, we smoked them - literally! We (our ML) got the nickname - Diesel. Someone yelled across the field - "who the hell is shooting those Diesels?" I think everyone heard it and got a good laugh.

Newtire said:
A friend of mine called me up for dove hunting so went over with my M-12 Winchester and got a limit easily. We each had a Mojo Dove Voodoo decoy and the doves were going crazy over them [Worked so much better than the duck decoy they make]. The next day, I took out my N.R. Davis 11 gauge double. Using equal volume loading of 1 oz. and 1-1/8 oz. loads of #7 and Alliant Black MZ, a Nitro Card over the powder and 2-overshot wads, the doves took a beating. I got only 7 doves the first day with the muzzle loader but had more fun than the first day when I limited out with my modern gun. I have a nice picture of that as my desktop but can't figure how to post pictures on this forum.

That sounds like a BUNCH of fun!!

Great... another thing just got added to the bucket list! That sounds like so much fun!

Great... another thing just got added to the bucket list! That sounds like so much fun!

Back