1st Big Game animal with a sidelock!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my first big game animal with the sidelock! Stalked into this antelope herd that had one alpha buck and around 15 doe's. Waited behind a tree while they napped. Luckily as they all got up they drifted my way. Got it at 65 yards using a T/C Renegade, 80 grains of T7 powder, an oxyoke wonder wad, and a 425 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet. Pretty much a boom flop... Want to thank everyone for their help with my questions the last couple months. Still feel like a beginner sidelock guy, but I'm coming along!

Attachments

• IMG_20170925_185113118_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170925_185113118_HDR.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 395
Congrats and good job! Nice looking goat there.

Way to get it done! :applause:

That's awesome. I was hunting antelope last week and would like to hunt one with a muzzleloader some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats mate that's an awesome job

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ronlaughlin said:
Great! For me it is quite weird to see the antelope in timber like that. Can't recall ever seeing that before. Way to persevere.

Yeah, antelope hunting in the timber definitely isn't the norm! There's an area close to where I live that's like that. There are big grass openings surrounded by trees. It's a relatively small area as far as antelope country goes. There's usually one good herd in there. I've taken the herd buck two times, once with my bow and once with my Knight U-Lite. It's a fun hunt. I prefer it to the usual antelope hunting terrain.

It would be a fun hunt for me too. It sure would be strange to hunt that area. My one antelope kill using a muzzle loader, required crawling through cactus on wide open prairie , and a 2-7 scope on a 45 Omega, and was much further.

P1010322.JPG

The horizon is out maybe two mile. Note the grass flattened as i crawled, and zig zagged around cactus.

Congratulations again; hope you enjoy eating antelope as much as we do; nothing better!!

Congrads on the hunt. Looked like it was a lot of fun. Bet the wait for them to get up was excruciatingly long! :wink:

ronlaughlin said:
It would be a fun hunt for me too. It sure would be strange to hunt that area. My one antelope kill using a muzzle loader, required crawling through cactus on wide open prairie , and a 2-7 scope on a 45 Omega, and was much further.

P1010322.JPG

The horizon is out maybe two mile. Note the grass flattened as i crawled, and zig zagged around cactus.

Congratulations again; hope you enjoy eating antelope as much as we do; nothing better!!
That cactus is no joke. I'm still pulling thorns out from last week.
5c5d7344f88c320cd85f96bc699c4ebe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job congrats,hope to get mine tomorrow opening day in Pa. For early muzzleloader, doe only. 50cal. Hawkins cabelas special cheap but it shoots fine with 240gr green power belts with 110gr 3f.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back