2017 Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I harvested this buck on our family property on 14 November. This was the third buck of the two week muzzleloader season (fortunately I was able to take two weeks off of work) I was blessed with, but this buck was the most special to me. I saw a total of 19 deer this season, and harvested three of them.

I saw him last year (2016) and nicknamed him '"Antlersaurus Racks", as he is a big buck where I am from. In reality, I jumped him coming back to the house to get our tractor to go pick up a buck I had just shot. When I jumped him, he was on the edge of a cutover and ran up to one of our old tobacco barns where he popped out of the brush and scared the hell out of my Dad and sister. We didn't see him again until 14 November this year.

Anyway, I harvested him 8 minutes before the end of legal light and could not have done it without a new scope I put on my CVA Accura V2 this year. The day was overcast and I hunt in a heavily wooded creek bottom, with a high ridge on the West side of the stand that cuts down on the light I get. I know it seems a bit wasteful to spend as much as I did on the scope, but the Zeiss Victory HT 2-10x50 allowed me to take a shot that I would not have taken without it on the rifle. Last year, I missed an opportunity to take a shot on a nice buck because the Leupold crosshairs were washed out in the fading light. This year the Schott glass in the Zeiss and red fiber optic dot made the difference. I took a spine shot to put him down fast, and he didn't move after the shot.

Also, I switched over from using a Barnes MZ Expander (250 grain) last year to using a Knight Bloodline (250 grain) this year, both slung by 100 grains of BH209. I didn't do this because I lacked faith in the Barnes, I only wanted to try the Bloodline. Based on how the Bloodlines performed this year, I will use Bloodlines from now until the day I can't lift my rifle anymore.

Anyway, I am done hunting this year as the freezer is full. I got 84 lbs. off of my first buck, 77 lbs. off of the second buck, and AR has not been fully processed yet.

Thank you for your sacrifice Brother.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 340
Nice buck!!

Good glass hurts the wallet but times like that you sure appreciate it.

Nice buck! Congrads! Those Bloodlines are really something.

Nice shootin, that's a lot of meat yall must have some big bodied deer.

Back