1st deer with the smokepole!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1arrowshort

Reaction score
Well seeings I couldn't get out much for the regular muzzleloader season here in WI, I decided to try my luck for the doe only hunt this weekend. Getting up and seeing it was only 13 degrees I opted to leave the bow home and gab the knight. (it's a any weapon doe hunt) I was in the stand for about 45 min. When I saw deer coming through the trees from my left to right, 4 total and all doe. At about 60 yards they started to browse a little so I put the cross hairs on the lead doe and squeezed one off. The last 3 took off the way they came and the one I shot started running towards me and fell about 15 yards from the stand, you can see the ladder stand in the background of the first pic. I hit her a little higher and more left than I wanted to but was still a very lethal shot. The bullet didn't pass through but hit the scapula and broke the other leg so I'm hoping I find it when I start processing tonight to get a good look at it's performance. I have to say i am Very happy with the results of the Harvester scorpions
a399792f354f082187f86be87bae9915.jpg
00adfb63cbc2190d98c77f8c02bdaf03.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Congrats!!! Snow and cold is my favorite time of the year to hunt.

Re: RE: Re: 1st deer with the smokepole!

alphaburnt said:
Hope to see recovered bullet too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If or when I do find the bullet I will post pics

Good job! Is that the Knight Bighorn? I see the plunger, but the barrel looks longer than an MK-85.

Re: RE: Re: 1st deer with the smokepole!

FredB said:
Good job! Is that the Knight Bighorn? I see the plunger, but the barrel looks longer than an MK-85.
Thank you, yes it is a bighorn. I inherited it from my father who opted to get a youth model for himself because of being in a wheelchair. I'm on the short side height wise, so maybe the barrel looks long?

Well, while getting the hide off and upon further inspection, there was a small exit hole. I did find some of the bullet and some copper plating but not as expected. I've seen a few posts on bullets fragmenting and it looks like this is what happened? Or maybe just got busted up crashing through all the bone? Either way I guess it did it's job.
60695353ede0b777f580e08512f31fd7.jpg
ea38edc40681fad3ec72a4b79a77f886.jpg

Back