Thanksgiving Muley, er... Whitetail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredB

Reaction score
So I chased the mule deer all over the mountains in Idaho this November. I used to live there but am stuck in Oklahoma for a while. Took a good two weeks, and promised myself I'd hold out for a really big one this time. I've taken a number of medium sized mulies, but never a really big one. My brother and I saw several, more than any season past, but I just couldn't quite connect the dots and tag one. :wall: I was kind of surprised really, because Idaho saw quite a winter kill last winter. But I guess that was mostly fawns, which doesn't bode well for future seasons. Anyway, we were finally hunting Thanksgiving morning, and I was getting less picky. The mountains were wearing me down. We were a couple miles up, and saw some does, so I stocked up on them to see if there was a buck with them. There was. This little forky made me at about 30 yds. I had the safety off, sight picture was good, and finger on the trigger... Then I thought, "I'm not going to be late for Thanksgiving dinner for this little guy." So we called it a day, and packed it in. I had to stop by the old house before going into the city to my inlaw's for dinner, and thought I'd just walk on down to the pasture for a look. So, I traveled all the way from Oklahoma to Idaho to take a nice little whitetail. But what a great hunt we had, my brother and me. 25 yds, Knight MK-85, .54 cal, 95 grains Pyrodex Select pushing a 405 grain Powerbelt. He wobbled about 30 yds and fell.
Best part was, it was about a 20 foot drag down wet pine needles to get him to the road! (So, I wasn't too late for dinner.) :yeah:

Attachments

• Thanksgiving whitetail.gif
    Thanksgiving whitetail.gif
    162.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Whitetail mk85.gif
    Whitetail mk85.gif
    150.2 KB · Views: 210
Re: RE: Thanksgiving Muley, er... Whitetail

FredB said:
So I chased the mule deer all over the mountains in Idaho this November. I used to live there but am stuck in Oklahoma for a while. Took a good two weeks, and promised myself I'd hold out for a really big one this time. I've taken a number of medium sized mulies, but never a really big one. My brother and I saw several, more than any season past, but I just couldn't quite connect the dots and tag one. :wall: I was kind of surprised really, because Idaho saw quite a winter kill last winter. But I guess that was mostly fawns, which doesn't bode well for future seasons. Anyway, we were finally hunting Thanksgiving morning, and I was getting less picky. The mountains were wearing me down. We were a couple miles up, and saw some does, so I stocked up on them to see if there was a buck with them. There was. This little forky made me at about 30 yds. I had the safety off, sight picture was good, and finger on the trigger... Then I thought, "I'm not going to be late for Thanksgiving dinner for this little guy." So we called it a day, and packed it in. I had to stop by the old house before going into the city to my inlaw's for dinner, and thought I'd just walk on down to the pasture for a look. So, I traveled all the way from Oklahoma to Idaho to take a nice little whitetail. But what a great hunt we had, my brother and me. 25 yds, Knight MK-85, .54 cal, 95 grains Pyrodex Select pushing a 405 grain Powerbelt. He wobbled about 30 yds and fell.
Best part was, it was about a 20 foot drag down wet pine needles to get him to the road! (So, I wasn't too late for dinner.) :yeah:
Congrats! It's always nice when things go your way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back