Both Ends

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoose

Reaction score
Season ( Flintlock only) ended here Saturday with plunging temps and wind howling but I was warm and cozy inside having filled my tag just before dark the evening before the front howled in with rain, wind and ice.... I shot a young doe that was nice and fat... took her about 70 yds with my RMC Accusporter flintlock in .50 cal with a 1:28 twist... used a home cast 460 gr plains style bullet from a mountain mold, wrapped with 2 layers of #9 onion skin paper and sized to .500... she was getting ready to "leave Dodge" and I took a frontal shot...she went about 30 yds, but left a trail that Helen Keller could have followed... didn't perform complete autopsy as it began to rain as dark set in... took her home, rinsed her out and hung her high in a walnut tree in the back yard...TIP FROM "themoose", you might want to rethink hanging a deer high in a tree when a winter storm is due to hit... made it an interesting project the next day getting her down to hang in the garage...

So that was the end of my 2017-18 deer season in PA... the beginning was the other end of ML's.... took a very big doe at measured 168 yds using a Knight Disc rifle with 209 primer conversion from Lehigh and topped with a 10X SWFSA Super Sniper scope with Mil-Mil mildot reticle, used range finder and Strelok ballistic program on my cellphone... bullet was home cast 11mm(43 Spanish RCBS) cast from pure lead @407grs(paper patched with 2 wraps of #9 onion skin and sized to .446)... used 80gr Triple 7 over home cut hard felt wad. I couldn't see the bullet impact due to the smoke, but heard the loudest "whack" of any deer I ever hit... she went less than 20 yds... Somewhere I had pictures of each, but I am not a computer person at all, in fact we used papyrus when I was in grade school.

The scope on the inline sounds like a lot, but I love the way I can use mildot system to hit targets from 10yds out to 200 with complete confidence if I do my part... I'm sure it will be accurate beyond that, but I put a self-imposed 200 yd limit considering the terminal ballistics and rainbow trajectory.

It definitely wasn't a ML, but I also took a doe in archery season using a Excalibur crossbow...

Kindest regards,

themoose

Heck of a season! Congrats

Definitely sounds like you had a good season! That RCBS 11MM bullet is a good one! My good friend Idahoron pioneered that bullet, Ron has proven it many times out to 300 yards. I had that mold and had good luck with it but decided to have a similar bullet mold custom made that dropped from the mold at .443-.444 so i can just wrap and load, no sizing needed. But definitely nothing wrong with the RCBS 11MM bullet! In my opinion that bullet could VERY easily be made perfect by running them through a .443 sizer, then just wrap and load.

Thanks fellas, Now I got nothing to do, but get ready for next season.... thinking of trying Idaholewis's method of paper-patching and comparing it to Idahoron's which I currently do... who know maybe I will come up with "PennsyltuckyMoose's" method.... remember my "lesson learned" frozen ropes and pulleys don't work well when you want to remove them from a high limb in below freezing temps... guess I had a brain fart...

Hope you all had a fun and successful season.

Themoose

themoose said:
who know maybe I will come up with "PennsyltuckyMoose's" method.... remember my "lesson learned" frozen ropes and pulleys don't work well when you want to remove them from a high limb in below freezing temps... guess I had a brain fart...Themoose

LOL! A guy has to be careful around these parts in the November deer season, it can lock up and freeze tight, Nothing much worse than trying to cut a deer up that is frozen! I have had to bring 2 of them in the house for several hrs before I could started on them. I don’t let that happen anymore! If its super cold i let them hang 1 night and get them cut up the very next morning.

Nothing in the world wrong with Idahoron’s method, the simple fact is it works, and works well! Ron shoots that bullet successfully to 300 yards, if much was wrong with it he simply couldn’t do that. My personal feeling has always been that particular Bullet would be ideal at .443, And the RCBS 11MM bullet could VERY EASILY be made that way with a .443 Lee Push through sizer. I can’t remember exactly what mine dropped from my mold at? But I am pretty sure it was .447, To reduce that bullet to .443 would be REALLY easy to do! At .443 all you would need to do is wrap your 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper, twist the tail, and load it! Going this route You would never have a paper stick and ride the bullet, they would ‘Shuck’ at the Muzzle like a true PP bullet is suppose to do. Had i of kept my RCBS 11MM mold this was my plan for it. This method on this particular bullet is unproven, but i have messed with this stuff plenty long enough now to feel confident that it would work flawlessly, i’d place a bet on it!

Back