Youth loads for a wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBP

Reaction score
Hello all,

My son is using a CVA wolf this season. I am trying to keep the load fairly light and wondered if 60gr of T7 behind a 300 gr SST would be adequate for deer out to about 75 yds.

Thanks for any input,

TBP

I would think it would work fine, but I might think of using an XTP or all lead bullet (such as the TC Cheapshot) in the right sabot as they should open up easier with the HP. Should be a lot cheaper to shoot as well. I have seen several passthroughs at 50 or so yards with the cheapshots with 80 gr of Pyrodex. I think someone on here used them with 40 gr of t7 3f with good results out to 100 yards.

What about 200Gr .429 Gold Dot

There are also 200 gr Gold Dot bullets that are expected in stock in a couple of weeks at Midway that I think might be a decent choice for reducing recoil & the Gold Dot has an excellent reputation as a bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=291871

Not that a 300gr bullet won't get the job done....

-Mike

I think that load would get the job done just fine, but personally I'd use a lighter bullet if you can. Recoil depends on powder charge and bullet weight both, and a 300 grain bullet is probably overkill for a youth load. My bullet choices in order for a youth/light recoiling load would be:

1. 40 cal 200 grain XTP (with a .50/.40 sabot) & 60 grains T7.
A guy on another forum uses this bullet with 65 grains T7 with great success on deer and javelina. I've killed 3 deer with this bullet (using 80 - 100 grains T7 at various ranges), and I can say with confidence that it expands and kills well at low & high velocities both.

2. .429 240 grain XTP (or .45 250 XTP) The other guys in my hunting party use both of these and have had great success with loads ranging from 70 - 90 grains T7. I'm sure either would work just fine with 60 grains of T7 for close range shots as well.

3. If you want to stick with the SST/Shockwave, I would use either the 250 grainer or the 200 grain Shockwave- less weight = less recoil, plus these should expand a bit better at low velocities than the 300 grainer.

Hope this helps!

younghunter_86 said:
For a light kicking load I would second the suggestion of the .40 200 XTP. You could also substitute .40 200 gr shockwave/sst if they are easier to find.

+1 You can add more powder and still have a light recoiling load that is accurate.

.40 XTP 200 gr with 75 gr of BH209. This is my wife load; it's an accurate and lethal load up to 75 yds

200gr xtp or 223gr - 245gr powerbelt. The powerbelts are soft lead so with the light 70gr charge i would use the hollow points.

frontier gander said:
200gr xtp or 223gr - 245gr powerbelt. The powerbelts are soft lead so with the light 70gr charge i would use the hollow points.

x2

Here's a load that my daughter and I have used with complete success.9 deer 9 shots at ranges from 15 feet to 115 yards.With 2 exceptions all were pass throughs and nothing went more than 60 yards after the hit.We use a T/C Cheap Shot sabot and 40 gr ( volume, 32 gr weight) of 3f Triple 7.Out of Valerie's Traditions Tracker this load hit a flat 1300 fps and accuracy is excellent.Recoil is a complete non-issue, look for the smoke to make sure it went off...Quiet , effective and very economical.hard to ask for more.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Looks like I have a bunch of testing to do. I am probably going to start with a 200 gr sw as I have some available. If they group well I'll go with that for this year.

Thanks again,

TBP

frontier gander said:

What Frontier said. I doubt that an SST will open up at all with 70 grs. I would definitly go with a hollow point, and a soft one at that.

You should be fine with the 200 Shockwaves. Spaniel on huntingnet.com has taken several dozen deer with this, some at very long ranges (like 300+ yards) when it had slowed down a lot, and he claims that they still expand well at low velocities. So they should work just fine with a lower powder charge as long as you can get them to shoot accurately.

Well, we started the testing today by shooting a buck at about 75yds with the 300gr sst in front of 70gr of T7. He double lunged him so the deer ran about 30 yds looked back at us and then toppled over.

Inspection of the lungs showed a slightly larger than .50 cal hole through the middle of both lungs with little other damage. There was little expansion but no bone or shoulder was impacted either.

I have some 200 gr Shockwaves and thought I might be able to drive them faster and keep the recoil about the same.

He is probably done with the muzzleloader for early season so I'll have time to get things tuned in a little better before he takes it out again.

It was his first deer and he's pretty pumped about how well it went. I am super proud as he had to wait along time for the deer to get into position and he made a perfectly placed shot (well maybe a skosh high) with a six pound trigger.

Thanks again for the input.

TBP

My friends son shoot a wolf and uses this load very effectivly

NOSLER BULLETS 45CAL .451DIA 260GR JACKETED HOLLOW POINT PARTITION with MMP-24 sabot

80 grains of Blackhorn 209

Dont know the primer.

Back