Converting a 45/70 into a smokeless muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45.70 conversion

Go to doug's green board, slufoot does them

You send Slufoot your barrel and a Savage Breechplug with $80 and he installs the Breechplug and reworks the crown so sabots don't get shaved while loading. His turnaround time is about a week, less then a week for mine. If you want his email just let me know.

Just remember your going to loose a little over an inch with the plug install. You might want to consider a 24" barrel over the 22". Just something for you to think about.

I agree with Omega, I would go with the longer barrel and definitely recommend slufoot for the conversion. His turnaround time was less than a week with mine also. Everyone that I know of that has had him convert their barrels ended up with a very good shooter.

Thanks a lot guys I have been doing a lot of looking and for what I am wanting to do I feel this will be my best route. Thanks for your responses.

River Rat

Good luck with your project. Once you go smokeless--- it makes all the rest seem so lame in comparision. You'll use less powder and get more performance at a lower cost than ANY of the BP subs.

It is REALLY surprising to see how low the pressure is on a well developed load with the right powder. I prefer Re7 and N120 but i haven't tried 4198 yet either. The 45/70 conversions all seem to love 56gr of 4198 and the pressure appears to be very safe. 2500fps+ isn't bad either. :) Most of the SMI load data is 4198 too IIRC including the 50cals.

Im sold on SMLs now. It felt "wrong" at first but ive gotten used to it. I still like BH209, i just don't like the cost.

Been doing some more looking and I have an Optima Elite so I figured I would look for a barrel for that incase I came across one. Well I came across one for $179. My only question is you talked about having to cut part of the barrel if I order this barrel will I have a problem with the end where the breech plug would go?

River Rat

http://www.bergarausa.com/Store-View.php?id=249

You shouldn't have to have the barrel cut to convert it unless there is something about that particular barrel that I don't know about. Slufoot will thread the breech end for a plug and then redoes the crown because it is sharp and will shave sabots when you load. You will lose some of the barrel length due to the breech plug.

Back