CVA Optima V1 VS V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwardamason

Reaction score
So I noticed that CVA has changed the break open lever on the Optima from the lever on the front of the trigger gaurd to a more freindly TC Encore type of take down system.

For those users that have tried both has it effected the great trigger pull the VI has? I was thinking about upgrading but wanted to make sure they have all the bugs worked out first.

I looked at my Optima. It has the breech release on the front of the trigger guard, And it works flawless. I did not see any indication of V1 or V2 or Bergara barrel marks. Although when I talked to a CVA Technician about my Optima he stated it had a Bergara barrel. Also my rifle has a fantastic trigger.

cayuga said:
I looked at my Optima. It has the breech release on the front of the trigger guard, And it works flawless. I did not see any indication of V1 or V2 or Bergara barrel marks. Although when I talked to a CVA Technician about my Optima he stated it had a Bergara barrel. Also my rifle has a fantastic trigger.

Dave the barrel is a barrel made by Bergara but it is not the finished quality of the Bergara you get on the Accura or Apex

cayuga said:
If you read my action after report of the CVA Optima after the season last year just about my only complaint about the CVA Optima was the Breech Release can be pre maturely released in the field. It happened about 3 times while in the field to me. Now granted a lot of that is going to take some self correction on my part coming off of hunting so many years with a one piece stock and carrying it so much in my forearm. Getting a bit more adjusted to it and aware that the release is there I suspect me and the Ml will become one and it will be a non issue.

It seems someone at CVA has been paying attention to its customer base and those complaints as well and corrected that issue making the CVA V2 even better.

When I first handled a Accura in the store I knew that would probably be my next purchase just for that reason alone. Somehow I talked myself into a Wolf because of the weight and the pricepoint. I have not been dissapointed in the Wolfs performance.

Now that the Optima has the same mechanical release as the Accura I am not so certain I can justify the price differenece between the Accura and the Optima. Its hard to put a price tag on the subtle differences between the Accura and the Optima now. Not sure I am willing to spend another $150+ bucks just to get a premium stock and barrel. As the barrel and stock on the Optima suit my needs just fine.

I say have no complaints about the stock. After reading my after action report from last season a couple of thoughts did come back to me.

And this probably does come down to personal preferance.

The stock on the Optima is way to long for me and probably for most shooters. The Stock on the Wolf compact I have is just about right at 13.5 inches. I do not know why the industry thinks that shooters need a 14.5 inch pull when the majority do not. When you add hunting clothes and layers it really starts to be problematic.

As for the forearm on the Optima I am really not in love with it either. Its much to flat. Works great on the bench. But in the field I like a rounded forearm. One of the things on my bucket list this spring was to find a extra forearm for the Optima and play around with it with a sander and see if I could round one off to my liking. I have not gotten around to that yet.

So I was in my shop today bored and decided to make a 3mm tool to clean out the flash channel on my CVA wolf. Turned out pretty well I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378521573.085087.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 7,190

Latest posts

Back