Backyard deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flounder

Reaction score
Mostly I just get does and fawns coming into my yard. This mama and babies have really raised hell with the garden this year.

EK005179_zps80f8dbb5.jpg

Sunday morning I looked out my bedroom window just as I was about to get up and saw these young and upcoming fellas back der.

EK005251_zpsbd634725.jpg

EK005263_zps3f7b3fcb.jpg

EK005286_zps438fc4c8.jpg

That's pretty cool! I dream of the day when I can move out of the city limits and wake up to that.

Cool. I would love to have them visit my yard like that.

Curious, for those that have such visitors and are able to shoot on their property, how many 'harvest' a deer or two from the back porch. Or do they sort of become like pets.

I have deer outside my house all the time. Just saw 2 does 15 mins ago. No, I haven't shot one off the porch...though I could have plenty of times.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't.... a couple years ago in mid Nov I looked out my home office window and saw a real nice buck chasing a doe about 50yds from the house. I ran downstairs and grabbed my already loaded ML and threw on a set of coveralls and boots and out the front door I went after him - less than 1 minute from seeing him. They ran down in a gully beside my house so it gave me a perfect chance to circle around and try to cut them off where I knew they were heading. I got there (about 150yds away from the house) and could see him chasing her hard all over, but they never got close enough for a shot and then circled back out of the area. He was a nice one, had he been standing where I first saw him when I came out of the house... game over from the porch. :mrgreen:

The funny thing about the "pets" that we see alot (does and young ones) they aren't scared near the house. See those same deer 200yds back behind the house, they act totally different.

I've never aimed a rifle at one in the yard. This past summer I fired a few warning shots to try and keep them out of my garden. Didn't work. It's nice to see them but they can be a real nuisance too.
I'm not sure what the guy was getting at about the minerals. I guess I don't buy into all that hype.
Art

SOME PEOPLE just don't want to help themselves or the deer. If you are happy with the way your deer are they compare them to someone not taking vitamins or supplements. Are they healthy and fat at their full potential answer is NO. Same as people the body requires certain minerals to develope into our peak. Try searching the topic and you will see what I mean.

Have deer in your yard is really a pain. I have had kids want to shoot at my house all hours of the day cause deer are standing their. The deer eat my landscape plants and lower trees not to mention the garden. Anyone that wants deer in their yard just does not know what they are talking about.

I recall living in the asphalt jungle and wishing I had deer in my yard like they say be careful of what you wish for???? A lot of your neighbors will not let you shoot them anyway. Several cities have ordinances against shooting within city limits.

PLUS you become a tourist attraction for all hours of the day and night..... People "just want to see the little deer, so cute"

First of all they are not MY deer and I am not feeding them. They are wild animals who stopped by my backyard early one morning. Very, very seldom do I see any bucks in my yard, mostly does and fawns.
Secondly, they look like perfectly healthy young bucks to me. Not fantastic head gear but that is something more important to humans than to deer anyway.

Didn't we just read somewhere that vitamins/supplements are a waste of money i.e. they really actually do nothing for one's health. From what i have observed, deer find minerals they need on their own, and do just fine around here, and in the bush.

In our yard we have deer, fox, turkey, rabbit, coon, squirrel, and all kind of bird. They are mostly all welcome. The Eurasian bird, starling, and blackbird, are not welcome, and they get killed when they come around. The garden is fenced to keep deer away, but rabbit gets in once in a while. We live inside the city limit; cannot hunt deer on our 1/3 acre.

The lady landscapes with plants that deer don't seem to care for mostly. Our yard has lots of pretty flowers deer don't like or eat. Learning what deer don't eat took awhile; they like to eat just about everything. One individual deer will eat what all the other deer don't. The lilac bushes are strange looking things, having been sculpted for years by the deer. Won't mow any more this year; saving the grass for the deer, and rabbit to eat this winter.

Neighbor dogs allowed to run loose in violation, are the biggest problem i have. It irritates me to have to watch out for what they leave. If we lived outside the city, dogs would not be a problem.

flounder said:
Secondly, they look like perfectly healthy young bucks to me. Not fantastic head gear but that is something more important to humans than to deer anyway.

I would agree. Two nice young basket rack bucks that both appear to be 6-8pts. Nothing wrong with that. If they make it another year or two, they look to have great potential.

Latest posts

Back