What's the worst Wild Game food you ever ate?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ex-mother-in-law fixed a goose for a Christmas gathering. Looking back on the experience,,,It was awful..

The only thing I can do with a goose is make jerky out of the breast. That is after a couple of days in my favorite marinade.

I've heard that goose makes decent chopped BBQ in the crockpot. Someone needs to test this theory !!

Batchief909 said:
My ex-mother-in-law fixed a goose for a Christmas gathering. Looking back on the experience,,,It was awful..

She probably only gave you the goose, everyone else got Turkey! :shock:

The way I cook a goose is very simple. Here are a few things you need to understand about geese and cooking them especially.

Make sure the goose is completely thawed out before you attempt to cook it. Because a goose is fatty, if there is any frozen spots in it, this will alter the way it cooks. You have to make sure it cooks evenly.

You need either a smoker, or a very deep sided roasting pan. I use a Brinkman Smoker. In the smoker, I use apple wood. And always a water pan. The idea is you want the goose to drip away all the fat from the body cavity as possible. Plus you want even heat. A goose can take a long time in these low temperature smokers. The larger the goose the longer it takes. a 5-7 pound goose is about perfect. 8 hours is not uncommon. But rely on the thermometer. And make sure when you check foul with a meat thermometer, you never let the end of it touch bone. You can get a false reading.

In a bowl I like to pour a 1/2 cup of orange juice, zest some of the peel in there, add about a teaspoon of salt, pepper to your liking, and if you have a juicer, (My mother ) used to juice a granny smith apple and then take the pulp out of the catch cup and add that mashed apple. I have just mashed an apple. Mix all of this together. It will make kind of a liquid paste.

Now you need to take a sharp knife. I like a filet knife and make about 5 X's cut to the breast of the skin, and a couple on the back of the goose. This is to allow the fat under the skin to work out of the bird. Also, pull the legs towards you and make a cut in just the skin between the leg and the side of the goose.

Inside the body cavity of the goose, add a chunked up slice of bread. This is to absorb the goose fat. I do not eat any of the stuff inside the goose, as it is fatty. I also like to peel an orange and an apple, and separate the orange into slices and cut the apple into chunks. Add that to the bread. This will make the juices that escape the bird add a flavor.

Now you want to rub the outside of the goose with that paste mixture. Put the most of it on the breast of the goose. As you cook the goose this stuff melts and kind of drizzles the bird with the flavors. Some add honey to the paste. I wait and half way when the bird is done, I drizzle honey over the breast. This will somewhat caramelize as if cooks and makes for a glaze.

Do not over cook a goose. If you do they get tough. 165-170?s for a internal temperature is good. When you have the body temperature to that degree, remove the goose, set it on a platter, and cover it in tin foil and let it sit 15-20 minutes and stew. While it sits for that 15 minutes, all the fruit covered juices will be absorbed back in the meat.

If you are going to use a deep sided roasting pan, make sure the goose is on a rack. Treat it just like described, but when you first put that in the oven, you want a very high temperature .... like 450 degrees. Leave it in there like that for about 20 minutes. This is melting the fat from under the skin. After that 20 minutes, you can drop the temperature down to 350 or 375 and let it roast. Sometimes it is necessary to drain the goose fat off it when cooking. The honey will caramelize real nice in the oven.

Again, after it reaches temperature, remove it, and cover it in tin foil to rest. After the 20 minutes it rests, carve the breast meat. Sometimes the legs and wings can be strong tasting, but when we were kids, my Dad shot a lot of geese and we learned to eat that part of the bird. Heck.. we'd eat anything that was set on the table.

Roast goose is very good if done right. This is how I cook it. And I have eaten it and ducks for years, cooked like this.

No offence meant cayuga but I don't want to cook or eat anything that has that many instructions to make it edible. :lol:

:think: All I know is that take the breasts out of the wild geese and they make the best jerky you will ever eat. :yeah: who ever said that cat was the other white meat was wrong, :think: but fox and yots love them. :d'oh!:

Spitpatch said:
Brute! I'm with you!!
I never ate a goose that tasted even remotely good.
If someone has a good recipe, please share!

I made goose kabobs last weekend, here's the recipe
(1) goose breast-NO SKIN-slice into 1/4" thk pcs across the grain
lay on side & cut off silver skin & fat
you can check for shot & feathers in the meat very easily this way
marinade for 4 hours min or overnite
precook onions & peppers in microwave until just tender
thread meat & veggies on skewers & cook over wet mesquite chips for about 6 minutes-DO NOT OVERCOOK
marinade: 1 cup water, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp brown sugar

When I was young, foolish, and married.. me and friends used to get together and go duck and goose hunting. The wives put up with it. We'd get our gear and drive to his little tavern we liked, drink beer, eat hamburgers and shoot pool all day, then come home and tell the wives we got skunked.

Well after about three weekends of getting skunked and drunk.. the wife put her foot down and had the gall to accuse me of just going out drinking. I mean the gall of that woman. But the following weekend, we grabbed our gear and headed out. On the way there we saw a farm that had a sign that said .. Muscovy Ducks for sale. I yelled at Pete.. Pull in there buddy. So we went in and this farmer came out. We told him we wanted to buy some of them pure white Muscovy ducks. He said sure.. they were like $5.00 each. And he was going to cut their heads off for us, but we insisted, he put them in a burlap sack for us live. Which he did.

We took them ducks and before we came home, we took them out of the sack and shot each one of them in the head. Then went home. I held up my big white duck and announced to the doubting wife.. the snow geese are flying!! She was so proud of me. We hunted snow geese for a few more weekends. and the farmer got to know us so well, he let us deer hunt there. When we told him what we did with the ducks.. he laughed himself sick.

And then there was the time I found a trout farm where you paid so much an inch for trout.. Me and the boys used to trout fish on weekends too. Wife never did catch on to it all. But did think I was a heck of a trout fisherman.

Don't know if it would be properly classified as "game", but Cow Nosed Ray from Chesapeake Bay, was something I could not choke down. You can duplicate the experience by taking a swig from a chum bucket...

Hands down the worst thing I have ever eaten is raccoon. Might be the way that my mom cooked it, but I never said a word to her about it!

cayuga said:
When I was young, foolish, and married.. me and friends used to get together and go duck and goose hunting. The wives put up with it. We'd get our gear and drive to his little tavern we liked, drink beer, eat hamburgers and shoot pool all day, then come home and tell the wives we got skunked.

Well after about three weekends of getting skunked and drunk.. the wife put her foot down and had the gall to accuse me of just going out drinking. I mean the gall of that woman. But the following weekend, we grabbed our gear and headed out. On the way there we saw a farm that had a sign that said .. Muscovy Ducks for sale. I yelled at Pete.. Pull in there buddy. So we went in and this farmer came out. We told him we wanted to buy some of them pure white Muscovy ducks. He said sure.. they were like $5.00 each. And he was going to cut their heads off for us, but we insisted, he put them in a burlap sack for us live. Which he did.

We took them ducks and before we came home, we took them out of the sack and shot each one of them in the head. Then went home. I held up my big white duck and announced to the doubting wife.. the snow geese are flying!! She was so proud of me. We hunted snow geese for a few more weekends. and the farmer got to know us so well, he let us deer hunt there. When we told him what we did with the ducks.. he laughed himself sick.

And then there was the time I found a trout farm where you paid so much an inch for trout.. Me and the boys used to trout fish on weekends too. Wife never did catch on to it all. But did think I was a heck of a trout fisherman.

This is friggin AWESOME! :lol:

It's not what I would deem "wild game" but I tried some turtle soup that would turn your tongue inside out!

The worst was snow goose and it was made by one of the best wild game cooks i ever met....Grandma

Everything else she ever cooked including Canadian geese, ducks, carp, turtle and even a old squirrel or two were fine but that snow goose was vile!!!! No amount of gravy or seasoning was going to help.

Freshwater drum out of the Meramec river was nasty too. We caught a few one day while fishing for crappie in a very nice part of the river. Ive had lots of carp out of the Missouri river that tasted better.

The Muscovy ducks are the worst duck i ever tasted.

I've eaten mos anything as I aint been et yet myself. I likes fish and de grown chillen love dat sushi and sashime. I been out wif dem and had sum of it too, tasty stuff and I likes the sperience of new stuff. Wal tried dat Octopus an Squids legs, like eating rubber bands, never could get it down. For walkin meat that was bad, bro gave a dinner and served Moose hump, nobody could eat it, but the ribs were great. W

If the squid were tough, they were cooked too long, and or frozen too long. When done right, those things are excellent. I always thought they were trash till one of my deckhands cooked some up years ago and showed me what they could be. now I love them.

Squeeze said:
If the squid were tough, they were cooked too long, and or frozen too long. When done right, those things are excellent. I always thought they were trash till one of my deckhands cooked some up years ago and showed me what they could be. now I love them.

Squid is excellent!! I had some on the Island of Rhodes when I was on vacation there. It was a little mom and pop restaurant (if you could call it that). The squid was fresh caught that morning and the Ouzo was homemade. The old gal that cooked it couldn't speak a word of English but she smiled a lot and laughed constantly. That's ok, we couldn't speak their language either. I think she'd been drinking her own Ouzo too much. After a great meal, lots of arm gestures, some hugging, we left.

I've had some duck that was really bad, but the worst was the nasty deer burger I got processed one time. It had obviously been mixed with someone else's animal that hadn't been cared for like mine. Oh it was so bad. I now process my own animals as often as I can.

Kangaroo, horrible stuff. Has a really strong pungent odor and will be tough and chewy if cooked a second too long. It doesn't help that I have no love for the stupid things either.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Once got into some Brandt that had eaten something bad. They tasted like a hog pen smells. Same for some snow geese. These birds were salt marsh dwellers and had probably not been in cornfields ever.

Latest posts

Back