Scope thoughts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuff

Reaction score
I may scope my TC X7, I have 3-9X40 weaver grand slam that I'm thinking about using but I have lots of cabelas cash too. My question , is the Nikon xr ML scope with 5in eye relief that much better then the grand slam. I could then use cabelas cash on other needed items .

How much eye relief with the Weaver? I have the inline xr and it's a great scope. Put the Weaver on and see how well you like it. If satisfied with the Weaver spend on bullets, sabots, powder. Anything else needed.

That would depend on the eye relief on the Weaver. I am very careful about eye relief. I like 4 but will settle for 3.75 inches

The weaver is listed at 3.4 inches that's my dilemma do I go with the 5in on the Nikon xr .

Whether or not the Weaver works depends on the amount of charge. If shooting anything over 100 grns (black horn) I don't think I'd trust it. To much recoil could end in some serious scope eye. Knowing the small amount of eye relief on the Weaver imo you would be wise to go with the Nikon.

All my muzzleloaders are topped with Nikon scopes, I am spoiled with the eye relief and would find it hard to go with anything less. My smokeless muzzloader kicks fairly hard but I have never been hit with the scope.

Some do not like the BDC reticle on the Nikon, some say its too thin to see well, some do not like the circles. I shot a buck a few weeks ago at long range(304yds) and used the area between the 3rd and 4th circle for elevation, worked perfect and I had no trouble seeing the reticle or the buck with about 10 mins of shooting light left.

I like Nikon's SpotOn online program. After you input your load, weather conditions, sight-in distance, etc., it will tell you what each circle represents , also the top and bottom of circles if you like. I printed my info out and carried it with me for reference.

I think depending on your hold and shooting style you could get by with a 3.4 inch but like I said, for me ... that is close. I found a 3.5 for instance was always hitting the bill of my hat. And on some occasions ... brushed the eye brow. I went to a Nikon Pro Staff and that had the necessary eye relief to really make a difference. I kind of fell in love with that scope.

Also I once purchased a Bushnell that bragged 6 inches of eye relief. Well that was just too much. For me.

I am 13 years old and am getting a 7mm-08 and want to spend my money wisely on a scope and not regret my decision later any thoughts? I plan on using the rifle for deer,pronghorn,elk and any other big game animals in the US.

I am liking the look of some of the Nikon scopes, so I am considering the Optima from http://www.Muzzle-Loaders.com with the Nikon Scope but they also have the combo with the Kronus from CVA. Any experience on those? I am loving the wide options available from them but want to advice on the best choice.

For me, 3.5" is not quite enough for an ML. I had a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 that I ultimately traded with the one I had on my .308 CF rifle (a Vortex Viper 2-7x32) to avoid hitting my shooting glasses.

Regarding which scope to get, there are tons of options out there in the same price range or even less than the Nikon XR (a good choice), including the lowly fixed Simmons ProDiamond 4x32, the Nikon ProStaff line, Leupolds, Burris and also Vortex. If I was currently looking at a new scope for a ML I would seriously consider the newer line of Vortex Diamondback HP - 4.6" of eye relief for the 2-8x32.

A steal for $180 at https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-DB ... ondback+hp

MatthewGlenHill said:
I am liking the look of some of the Nikon scopes, so I am considering the Optima from http://www.Muzzle-Loaders.com with the Nikon Scope but they also have the combo with the Kronus from CVA. Any experience on those? I am loving the wide options available from them but want to advice on the best choice.
I have the Nikon inline xr scope on two muzzleloaders and for the money are a gr8 scope. Clear crisp and very bright. If you get this scope you won't regret it. The Pro Staff scope would also be a good choice.

Back