Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peppers ive been saving and freezing for sauces.
pepper%20Pick_zpsxy9lozsj.jpg

If you like beans you must try the Asian long beans. I get a handful like this everyday.
09-15-2016_zpsdstoc95u.jpg

WTH am i going to do with all these habs. My colon cant handle this!!!! Im glad this plant is about done for the year.
35HaBS_zpsgkqfip7f.jpg

WTH am i going to do with all these habs. My colon cant handle this!!!! Im glad this plant is about done for the year.
35HaBS_zpsgkqfip7f.jpg
[/quote]

I just keep making more hot sauce. There are a few hab/carrot recipes that I use. Pick up those dollar condiment bottles at Wally World. I just give it away to those friends that like the heat.

I made a small batch yesterday. Making it into sauce is a little bit of a problem though. The fumes are brutal unless you make smaller amounts at a time. I sneeze like mad even making small amounts.

Online you can get glass woozie bottles really cheap but the shipping is a killer. The shipping costs more than the bottles so ive been looking for a local company.

Yesterdays batch was
6 habs
6 Lombardo pepperoncinis that turned red
2 cherry tomatoes
1/2 tbs ketchup
2 tbs Korean pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp onion powder
2 tbs white balsamic vinegar 6%
1 tbs double strength rice vinegar 8%
Juice from half of a lemon.
Pinch of salt
Pinch of Mexican oregano
Pinch of cumin

Blending it today and making adjustments as needed.

Edit: Too mild since i seeded the habs. Added 6 lemon drops just chopped.....Nice burn but not over the top.

My go-to recipe:

Habanero Hot Sauce with Carrots

Ingredients
24 habanero peppers (finely chopped)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4-1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Sugar to taste

Directions:
Put a fan on your kitchen window or be prepared to leave the house for fresh air often.
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Sauté the onion and garlic and 1/2 of the habaneros.
Add the chopped carrots and toss the mixture. Sauté till they turn very soft. Add water to keep the whole thing moist and simmer until the carrots are cooked well. Transfer the mixture into a blender and add rest of habanero; blend this mixture until very smooth, at least 3 minutes.
Then, combine the puree, lime juice, vinegar and a pinch of salt and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.

The above is very rough, I play with it depending on what I have on hand, sometimes I use pineapple juice, sometimes other peppers get added. The heat will always be a little different.

Im going to try using a smaller pot inside of my 10 quart pressure cooker. That should cut way back on fumes and soften everything very fast too.

SteveH said:
My go-to recipe:

Habanero Hot Sauce with Carrots

Beautiful color and i have a plenty of swing top bottles. Mine are all liters or 750s so im not fond of giving them away. They have a habit of not coming back. I found some smaller ones locally i might buy. They are much cheaper.

On a side note, the local market had some Aji Amarillo peppers. They are similar to my lemon drops. A bit larger, orange and a tiny bit hotter. They are still a member of the baccatum pepper family though.

I will be using 50/50 amarillo/lemon drop, fresh lemon juice, cane vinegar, a small shallot and a couple cloves of garlic. Salt and sugar to taste.

Home made salsa verde with jalapeno, serrano, cowhorn and roasted Hatch chiles. This is really similar to the green salsa at the more traditional Mexican restaurants near me. They use just jalapeno and serrano mostly as far as i can tell.

Mine has a tad more heat. :D
P1020290_zpsxvycpah9.jpg

P1020289_zpssfh1mcvu.jpg

Simple version video.
[youtube]RKTELf6LM-8[/youtube]

Green hab sauce with a few orange habs thrown in. Touch of lime, cilantro with cane and cider vinegar.

IT BURNS!!!!
GreenHab2_zpsb3lcefxe.jpg

Question: My habanero plant is getting a second crop of peppers, but I doubt they will get to orange before the cold really sets in here in Northern VA, meaning I will be stuck with a bunch of green, not-quite-ripe peppers. Ever tried using greenies-that-should-be-orange in a hot sauce or something?

That is what i used in the sauce i just posted. It had 4 or 5 ripe habs, a few turning color and the rest green. I also got another round of habs on my plant, Maybe over 15 last time i counted.

This was what i used but a few more started to turn by the time i made the sauce.
P1020303_zpss1ow8y54.jpg

On a side note, habs will ripen on the counter. Pick a green one and set it inside with some sun light. It should start to turn within a few days.

GM54-120 said:
On a side note, habs will ripen on the counter. Pick a green one and set it inside with some sun light. It should start to turn within a few days.

Thanks, it got down to the 40s last night and the pepper plant leaves are starting to lighten/yellow. I'm thinking I better pick them soon and maybe put them in a paper bag to "counter" ripen. I believe it is more the ethylene gas given off by fruits and veggies than sunlight that will speed up the ripening process.

Peppers that have started to ripen turn for me within a couple days on the window sill. Habs will turn even if totally green. I just set them on a paper plate on the counter. Habs seems to be the only pepper ive got to turn if they are totally green when picked.

The peppers in the pic started to turn on me but i needed them green for this sauce. I pulled the stems on them and in about 2 days about half had yellow tops around where i pulled the stems. A couple were nearly half turned orange. The one in the pic that is half orange fully ripened by the time i made the sauce.

All i did was leave them on a plate on the kitchen counter. No bag or direct sunlight at all.

GM54-120 said:

Thanks, it got down to the 40s last night and the pepper plant leaves are starting to lighten/yellow. I'm thinking I better pick them soon and maybe put them in a paper bag to "counter" ripen. I believe it is more the ethylene gas given off by fruits and veggies than sunlight that will speed up the ripening process.

Mildish orange hab and carrot fermented sauce.

Pasteurized and cooked down but still needs a final blending and straining.
P1020339_zpsq4rdd4dd.jpg

I just couldn't wait another couple weeks for the 90 day mark so i began processing it yesterday. Total habs used was only 15 (10 fermented and 5 fresh) for a quart of sauce. The ferment did include minimal amounts of milder peppers, mostly for color. Very little vinegar in this one but its well fermented and has a nice lactic acid tang to it.

Edit: just finished it up. Needs a week in the fridge before i bottle it and possibly make some adjustments.
P1020343_zpsxk5etset.jpg

My masterpiece.

Lemon drops from my garden
Yellow bell pepper
Candied ginger
White onion
Garlic
White vinegar and rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
No added sugar
And.....Fresh lemon grass from my garden.

P1020365_zpsfvtmkest.jpg

P1020364_zpsqvyjs6o8.jpg

Nice pictures, I imagine a fair amount of 'burn' with many of those salsas. One may be feeling the burn the next day too, on the hopper.

A few years ago I took some upper temp hot sauce to our IL deer trailer. I warned the guys to be careful & only use a little bit. The one guy kept complaining that the sauce was 'dangerously' hot. After two years of this complaining I threw the rest out. It was just that a little went a long way.

The fermented hab/carrot sauce and this last lemon drop sauce are mild...ish :D. Both are under 10k scoville but hotter than Tabasco. I have a 9k rated sauce and both are milder for sure according to my tongue. :p

Lemon Drop peppers max out around 40k-45k scoville. So if you figure 2.5 cups of brine and 420gr total mash weight but only 215gr of Lemon Drops...The most it could be is around 1/4 of its original heat level.

215 grams chopped frozen lemon drop peppers
1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 medium white onion finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbs crystallized ginger
2 6" pieces of lemon grass cut in 2 inch pieces
420 grams total minus the lemon grass which will be removed before blending
2 1/2 cups 50/50 vinegar/water. Mostly white distilled but 1/2 cup was double strength rice vinegar (%8)

Added after cooking and blending
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ascorbic acid

Total sauce was a quart and over half was brine.

I can't eat any of that stuff. Not that I don't like them or don't want to it just that I think my digestive system intensifies the burn during the digestive process. Because on the way out my butt feels like its getting hit by a flame thrower - from the inside! No a real pleasant feeling.

Capsicum cramps can be nasty and there are ways to make them better. The 2 things that make a huge difference is eat lots of mild stuff with the hot stuff and remove the seeds from the peppers. Having some starchy mild stuff prior to eating spicy helps a ton with cramps.

The seeds and placenta around the seeds contains much of the capsicum and seeds don't digest very well.

When all else fails reach for the baby wipes. :D

Latest posts

Back