Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this for friends that dont care too much for spicy. Its milder than Tabasco or Crystal. Mostly roasted ripe Anaheims, Hatch chiles and ripe serrano with a few of my cowhorn peppers thrown in. A touch of chipolte powder was added for some smokey flavor. Roasting the peppers first brings out the natural sweetness in the peppers.
RoastedPepperHS_zpscfvxchjw.jpg

Very nice color. You have a source for the bottles? I generally just use $1 squeeze bottles from Wally World when gifting to friends but yours look way more classy. Need to put a label on them though! :yeah:

Just google 5oz woozie bottle. I found some locally after a long search but they are 86cents each. Online they are around 50cents each with dripper and cap but shipping cost more than the bottles.

36 bottles with caps and drippers ended up costing me $32 with tax locally. Next time im just buying the bottles locally and get the caps/drippers online. They were about 1/3 the cost online and shipping wont be much just for them.

Best price ive found online...$4/12 plus shipping and caps
http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Hot-Sa ... -P100.aspx

Caps 8cents each
http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/24mm-C ... -P207.aspx

Dripper inserts 4cent each
http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/24mm-D ... -P210.aspx

Feeling the burn again

Lemon drop hot sauce blended with some fresh pineapple on hot wings.
P1020497_zpsqdikhxli.jpg

This is gunna be good. I made chile verde the other day with pork off the grill and its was insane.
P1020641_zpsnxsu4uc6.jpg

This is the pork chile verde i made the other day with Rojo's avocado tomatillo and jalapeno salsa plus a few Anaheims throne in.
P1020606_zps9mpzmfzo.jpg

Timely post, I just made a verde with roasted anaheims, onions, bananas, jalapeno and tomatillos. Also some dried guajillos on hand. Pretty raw tasting now. Going to get some avacodos tomorrow to mellow it. Thanks for all the info!

Mine tasted raw but after a hour or two on a VERY low simmer it was killer. The tomatillo tartness tamed down alot too. The grilled flavor from the meat really gets into the sauce.

Most of it went into the pot with the chicken. I saved a little over a cup for salsa verde with some avocado. It just needs a dash of olive oil and a zap in the Nutribullet. The olive oil or any oil for that matter will bring back that bright green color when blended. Its killer with chips.

On a side note:

Try Lumbre or Sandia Select Anaheims. They are really hot for a Anaheim. I just started some today. I only had NuMex 6-4 which are mild/medium but now i have the full Anaheim heat range covered. Get Big Jim Heritage if you want a good solid medium Anaheim.

Ahh, the simmer must be the key. I made this intending just salsa. Anyway, after shooting today I stopped by the flea market and picked up 2 avocados and some Fla. sweet corn. Just now put in on a slow simmer with the corn and one more sweet onion for a half hour. I'll reserve a pint for some simmered pork chops, and add the avocado for a salsa with the rest.
Not having a pepper patch yet, I'm relying on grocery and farmers market peppers with a huge difference in flavor and heat each time. Generally, roasting the skins off works but not always. I'll get it right one of these years growing my own. This thread is a great tutorial, thanks!

Try this for a simple salsa.

1-2 tomatillos
4-5 Jalapenos (if milder ones)
1/2 small onion
Couple garlic cloves
1/2 avocado
1-2 tbs olive oil
Cilantro to taste
Salt to taste

Blanch the jalapeno, garlic and tomatillo. Careful not to burst the tomatillo. Blanch just till it turns yellowish. (you can skip it and just use some fresh lime juice too but it wont really be verde)

Blend the peppers, tomatillo, garlic and onion until smooth with as little water as possible (use the water from blanching)

Add a little olive oil and blend again....it will turn bright green (taste it..you might be surprised...its will almost taste like it has avocado in it now)

Add chopped cilantro and avocado and just pulse the blender....leave it a tiny bit chunky.

Salt to taste and chill

Thanks for the recipe, I'll follow that exactly as I don't always see tomatillos, but they're available now.
My last batch above was passable after simmering, but still sour.

Kimchi hot sauce. This is really mild for hot sauce but it taste just like liquid kimchi (spicy sauerkraut)
P1020624_zpsvsjyej69.jpg

Cranking up the heat this year because of demand from friends for hotter sauces and pepeprs. Well they asked for it

Aji Cito Hottest of the Peruvian Baccatums. About twice as hot as a lemon drop
aji-cito-pepper-plants.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Yellow MOA 100,000–350,000 Scoville Heat Units
scotch-bonnet-moa-yellow-pepper-plants.jpg

Trinidad 7 Pot Yellow 500,000-1,000,000 Scoville Heat Units
7-pot-yellow-pepper-plants.jpg

These are mostly too hot for me and i will need to cook the sauce down outside unless i want to have many hours of sneezing fits and pain. :D

Say hello to my little friends

Lumbre and Sandia although Sandia is still a bit shy
P1020654_zpsx2fsykmt.jpg

Aji Lemon from my last years plants.
P1020652_zpsju58bzao.jpg

Lumbre and Sandia Select seeds are from midwestchilehead. Both are a hotter Anaheim variety commonly grown in the Hatch area of NM. If you have ever eaten Hatch chiles labeled as hot or extra hot....there is a good chance it was one of these two.

You got quite a system there. What do you use for soil? Will the Walmart bags hold up all season?

34537097432_aa364dc9da_b.jpg

Mine's a little more modest. Going mainly with self-watering containers. Have a decent variety, mostly from seed. I was only able to get one Lemon Drop to sprout, hope it survives. Also going with Serranos, Jalapenos, Hot Banannas, Habanero, Super Chiles and Hawaiians.

34314303300_8e2e0fbea8_z.jpg

Found a great local nursery with tons of pepper seedlings. Picked up this Dragon Pepper just because.

33856431284_450165af73_m.jpg

Of course also need the mint (mojitos and julips) and basil.

34314303700_3158c5702f_z.jpg

Im running a couple test bucket of 3 parts coco coir and 1 part perlite. CNS17 Grow ferts and worm castings.

The ones below are getting mostly Alaska fish and kelp pellets for tomato/vegetable and worm castings.
A few others with Ecoscraps potting mix and coco coir at 50/50 but the Ecoscraps already has coco coir in it.
P1020683_zpsvkj0cq6x.jpg

The rest are mushroom compost, Ecoscraps compost "soil", peat moss and pine bark. That mix look like this...
P1020688_zpspp6qgvrp.jpg

All of them get the occasional "compost tea" also and a little Cal/Mag later on.

Forgot to mention.

Ive got some good lemon drop seeds from my plants last year. I got around 90% germination from the ones i sprouted. If you still have enough time in your season i have extra i can spare.

Back