White super 91 .5o4

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I beagle

Reaction score
I am a new member but have been reading all the info for awhile now. Another member posted the white s 91 for sale at a gun store in findlay ohio. I have been interested in a white rifle since I've been reading everything on here. I live only an hour away so I went up and looked at it. It looks good from outside. I asked the guy for a light to see bore. He got me one. Because of the nipple I couldn't get light in from that way so had to look down bore with light and it was hard to see that way. Since idont know anything about them, Just wanted to know from some one here if anything else to look for on the gun. They want 325.00. Didn't know about value of gun either. Any info would help. Thanks in advance

IAMBEAGLER said:
I am a new member but have been reading all the info for awhile now. Another member posted the white s 91 for sale at a gun store in findlay ohio. I have been interested in a white rifle since I've been reading everything on here. I live only an hour away so I went up and looked at it. It looks good from outside. I asked the guy for a light to see bore. He got me one. Because of the nipple I couldn't get light in from that way so had to look down bore with light and it was hard to see that way. Since idont know anything about them, Just wanted to know from some one here if anything else to look for on the gun. They want 325.00. Didn't know about value of gun either. Any info would help. Thanks in advance

The pics I saw of this gun looks like it might be black iced as well or maybe just blued. What is the condition of the outside of the barrel and breech area? There is a screw on the left side of the breech, pull back on the hammer assembly and put on safe by turning to right until it rests in a safety groove. Remove the screw and the hammer assembly will come out backwards. This gives access to the breech plug a extended socket (don't remember the size) will fit over the plug to remove it, then look down both ends. Look at the hammer face that hits the plug and see if there is any rust on there and especially in the breech area.

You can also remove the barrel from the stock by removing two screws on the under side of the rifle (one just in front of the breech underside they other in the rear trigger guard. If this is a gun shop they should be able to help you with this as well.

If the gun is in very good shape with no pitting/rust and has the black ice coating the $325 price is a good one. Let us know if you decide to get it or if you need anymore help.

Thanks for all the info toytruck. The guy working at the store didn't know anything about it either. It's not that kinda store, it's a trade in. I thought when I was looking down the bore I thought I could see something but wasn't sure. Again hard to see. I don't know what black ice coating is, looked blued to me. Thanks again for the info. Darin

I didn't see this second thread until today, but I'll let you know how it looks when it gets here the wife bought it for me for Father's day!

Fmfdred56. No problem. Yea. Let me know how it turns out. I don't know a thing about those guns, It did feel like a good handling gun . Thanks darin

You all have my interest up as well, but like said I have one an killed a big doe with it last January for my last tag. Hope its a good one for you Fmfdred56!!

IAMBEAGLER said:
I don't know what black ice coating is, looked blued to me. Thanks again for the info. Darin

http://blackicecoatings.com/ Alot of the older White rifles have this coating. My two Super 91's do and I sent off my Remington 870 to be coated as well. Great stuff, no issues with rust any longer, just wipe off water/dirt outside and clean the inside barrel/breech as normal an your finished.

Well the ups man brought her home today, she's a black iced beauty. She's got 2 small scratches in the finish but nothing major first thing I did was pull the plug and take a look.... with the plug out my first thought was oh s@$t the bore looked horrid! So I sent a patch down her and pulled out wad after wad of dusty grease. In the end she cleaned up beautiful and the bore shines like new but it sure had my heart rate up for a few minutes!

Fmfdred56. I'm glad the gun turned out good for u. I just couldn't see down the bore very well at all the day I looked at it. The black ice didn't look different than blue, I guess because I've never seen it before. I guess I missed out. Isn't first time, won't b the last! Lol. I will keep looking for a good White! Thanks darin

If I was in a shop and looked down the bore I'd have handed it back, it looked bad.

Fmfdred56 said:
Well the ups man brought her home today, she's a black iced beauty. She's got 2 small scratches in the finish but nothing major first thing I did was pull the plug and take a look.... with the plug out my first thought was oh s@$t the bore looked horrid! So I sent a patch down her and pulled out wad after wad of dusty grease. In the end she cleaned up beautiful and the bore shines like new but it sure had my heart rate up for a few minutes!
8) sounds like a great deal to me!! Congrats!! If you want a load suggestion my .504 S91 likes a 495gr Trashcan over 85gr. T72Fg and unlubed felt wad. I could kill an elk with that load, but, no elk around here anymore...

I have some 490 or 495 no excuses not sure where or how to acquire trashcans but I'll definitely try that load in it hopefully on sunday.

Fmfdred56 said:
I have some 490 or 495 no excuses not sure where or how to acquire trashcans but I'll definitely try that load in it hopefully on sunday.
The trashcans were made for me by Batchief awhile back...

I would also recommend Bullshop conicals, they put two deer in the freezer for the last several years for me. .451 of course... 8)

The 410 and 451s get the nod for deer season but colorado thinks elk are bullet proof and make you use the magnums to hunt them.

Back