King of the Mtn.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbasin

Reaction score
Well, I got it done the other night on a bear I have been chasing for 3 years. He was the alpha in my area and it took some time for him to slip up but luckly I was there when he did! He's in the range of 350-375lbs and he squared right on 6'6" If he measures better than 19 5/16, he'll be a personal best for me. My rifle of choice for this hunt was a Knight Bighorn, teflon coated by Black Ice Coatings. The load was 90 gr. of Pyro Select pushing a 300gr Barnes Expander MZ with a Win. 209 in a red plastic jacket. Here's a 3 photo before and after slide.

How far away was the bear when you shot? That Barnes looked like it behaved perfect. Also how far did it run after the shot? That is a nice looking bear!

Congratulations man that is a fine bear!!! There's nothing more exciting then having your crosshairs settled in on a bear.

Thanks guys, I put in a lot of effort the last couple of springs and I feel really fortunate to finally take that the boar I wanted most.

cayuga said:
How far away was the bear when you shot? That Barnes looked like it behaved perfect. Also how far did it run after the shot? That is a nice looking bear!

Cayuga, He was 29 yards away broadside with a very slight quartering away angle. I followed up the back edge of his far leg and fired when I was just a little less than half way up his chest. The bullet entered behind the second rib, traveled through the lungs and stopped in the offside shoulder. He reacted by turning to try to bite the "attacker". He spun in a circle and took off on a dead run right down the trail towards me. Then at about 5 yards he piled-up dead in a thicket next to me. Total distance was like 23 yards. I love Barnes Bullets...

Nice Bear. It is good to see someone else using FPJs in a Knight Plunger Gun.

Wow, that is awesome! Congrats to another plunger gun user!! :D :applause:

Pretty color on that bear too. You getting it mounted or the hide done?

WV Hunter said:
Wow, that is awesome! Congrats to another plunger gun user!! :D :applause:

Pretty color on that bear too. You getting it mounted or the hide done?

I love Tony's plungers, super fast ignition, simplicity, ease of cleaning, slim and lite so besides a Disc Elite and a Ultra Lite (soon to come) they are my go to muzzleloaders.

I am not having a mount done because I already have a half life on the wall and 4 tanned skins hung on a hook in my trophy room. I own a small euro business and plan to do the skull and my do a full plaque with the claws included. I traded the raw skin to a friend and she is going to make me a pistol holster.

My family and I really love bear to eat, so I am processing things like sausage, jerky, and burger... In addition to corned bear roasts for corned bear and cabbage. Also, for the first time I am having a friend smoke the ribs! My bud is a meat smoking master and I am so excited to try them! There was so much meat on the ribs. I say each rack trimmed out at over 10 lbs!
Please believe me when I say that none of this fine creature will go to waste.

Way to go! That is a great bear. That Barnes did the trick for sure. :yeah: Sounds like a Great hunt too with him running right at ya! :D

Nice bear! Enjoyed seeing the pics and reading about the shot. Congratulations!

I just got my bear skull back from the official measurement and the final score is 20 0/16th. Good enough for entry in the Boone and Crockett record book and also the new #1 in Muzzleloader Black Bear in Idaho!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 482
Congrads on making the book. :applause: Nice BIG skull.

Latest posts

Back