knight Disc elite... options today for BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmbb17

Reaction score
Gentlemen; My first post .

Today, what are the options for a breech plug to use BH209 powder in the Knight Disc elite.

My elite has the red primer holders. I bought some 209 powder last fall and it would not fire at all in the standard breech plug. So I just went back to 777.

I tried searching thru the site but am confused on what is available today.

Thank you

Have to ask a couple questions first.

What primer failed to ignite BH209 in the red jackets?
Have you ever cleaned out the breach plug with a drill bit BY HAND?

The reason i ask is because ive used the FPJs and BH209 and i only had a problem if the plug became clogged up with carbon. It was very dirty though.

Your options are:

1)Knight bare primer bolt and plug kit will work but the plug can wear out.....When it does get a Bestill plug.
2) Lehigh bare primer conversion....There might still be a few around and they are excellent
3) Bestill bushing plug but you will need either a bare primer bolt or a Lehigh NFPJ adapter for your FPJ bolt.

GM54;

Thank you. I tried several primers and none worked . The breech plug is clean... very clean. It surpriised me that none of the primers worked at all. Then with 777 everything worked fine.

I can live with the 777... but second shot is an absolute bear to get down the barrel

Thanks but that is not what i asked. There is a reason i was so specific about how the plug was cleaned.

Did you clean out the flash channel in the breach plug with a drill bit?
bp_diagram.jpg

Did you use a regular Win209 primer? There are several primers made for muzzleloaders and they are not hot enough.

Ten-4

I will get back to u with the specifics. I have it stored away right now.

What size drill would be appropriate?

I would need to double check the ID of the FPJ plugs i have. Mine are the old ones. I THINK they are 1/8 but im not sure. If you have never run a bit in the flash channel you may need to start with a smaller bit. The carbon gets super hard. It can be a real pain to remove if its thick. Solvents alone will not remove all of it.

I use hex head drill bits in a nut driver handle. A regular bit in a pin vice is what Western recommends.

Very good.
Just checked the plug and put a 1/8 drill in and turned by hand fine, some fine dust and a bit of metal came from the tip of the drill bit where it bore into the end. I use a piece of mig welder wire to clean the small section of the plug. I have always been very fussy with cleaning and keeping it clean. I always dismantle the bolt and clean it and keep it dismantled during storage and the plug and store in a bag with no rust . I see no build up in the plug of either section.

Primers , are Federal 209A, Winchester black powder primers and CCi 209

Fed209A is a mag primer and should work but i had minor issues with mag primers and FPJs.....They leaked more

Win ML primers are a no go for sure....much too weak to ignite BH209 in a FPJ and not recommended at all actually

Standard CCI209s should work fine
Mag CCI209s are about the same as a Fed209A
CCI MLZ primers are also too weak.

I had the best luck with regular Win209s and Rem STS primer in the FPJs....Not the Rem ML primers. Now with that out of the way, i dont like the FPJs with BH209 BUT Knight does sell a "vented" FPJ plug that is supposed to be more reliable with BH209. I have never used it. All of mine are original Lehigh plugs and 1 is a Bestill bushing plug. They are 100% reliable as long as they don't leak super bad which they shouldn't.

If there are anymore Lehigh plugs around you will need to buy some vent liners for them. The guy who had them did not include vent liners and wanted about $40 for the plug and adapter. Vent liners sell for between $3-$6 each and last many many shots unless you shoot some really hotrod loads.

Send an email to this address and check. It was the last known source of Lehigh plugs and adapters.

[email protected]

GM54;

Thank you for the help.

Will check on the Leigh plug.

One thing I failed to mention is that when I tried Blackhorn 209 in the disc elite it was cold, first part of December.

It's sad that many old posts about bare primer breech plugs no longer have photos due to 'photo-garbage-bucket' getting greedy. If you do a search on a bare primer breech plug for the knight and click on images, it will still show some photos.

I have a Lehigh bare primer plug and it works great, no blowback, primers are shiny new after the shot, works great with Winchester 209 primers and BH209 powder. I have also read great reviews on the Bestill plug. Both breech plug systems, IMO, are well worth the money.

I need to go out and shoot my .45 Elite, it's been too long...

One of my buddies shoots an Extreme with the red plastic jackets, CCIM primers & B209 powder, works fine for him. Firm seating of the charge helps too. Yes, I'd prefer to go with a bare primer type breech plug, I use a Lehigh plug.

My Elites are 110% reliable with B209, Lehigh plug. Your issues sound easily mitigated, just do some reading and then testing.

GM54

Bought the plug and adapter from the link you provided. No time to use it right now it looks to be a quality build.

What is a "vent liner" is it something else that goes with the plug?

Congratulations, you now have one of the best upgrades ever made for the Knights. Badger Ridge Industries also sells the Lehigh vent liners but any Savage type vent liner will work. http://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p11/LehighVentLiner

I would suggest using a Win209 primer unless you get lucky and a Fed209A seals up really well. In mine the Win209 seals the best and ive never had a fail to fire with them.

Vent liner gets anti seize and its removed for each plug cleaning. This should prevent it from ever getting stuck. The plug gets Teflon tape but its really not needed with Blackhorn209. A very light coat of synthetic oil is enough but old habits are hard to break.

Back