Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShawnT said:
Thanks. I thought it might be something like that. I was thinking of trying it with some Jalapenos. I got a couple of Mucho Nacho plants pretty late (More of an experiment for me on my balcony since I never tried to raise them before) but I have some nice looking peppers coming on. Looks like there will be several too. Yum Yum!

Mucho Nacho are a hybrid and im not sure if they are stabilized or not. Plants grown from your pepper seeds may or may not grow true. Like you though i am saving seeds from mine also. i LOVE Mucho Nacho...Killer production and flavor with just the right amount of heat. Im also saving seeds from another jalapeno hybrid called Chichimeca.

Mine is a beast of a plant and production is just nutz.
CC2ZlML.jpg

I was seeing all the peppers you and others were raising in buckets, and got to thinking it might be a good way to use my apartments Deck. I have been buying lots of Jalapenos to make Spicy Carrots and even took them back home. My Brother now calls and asks me to "Bring me more". :lol: So one day last month i spotted some nice looking plants at a local store and decided to try raising a couple this year. They were about 11" tall and very slender stems when I transplanted them. i forget if i got them on Saturday the 8th or first of July so they are only about a month old now. The plant on the left was 33" tall and the other is 31" and both stalks are as big as my thumb. Seems to can see them and the peppers grow each day. You can't really see all the peppers in the pics bit both have like 20 peppers growing or starting. i want to see how big they will get. I read that the Much Nacho grow a little bigger and meatier pepper, is that right? They sure are looking good to me for plants only about a month old. Its about all I can do to hold off taking a couple to try. Might have to try them and something else too next year, maybe a Marconi smokey pepper for stir fry.

0eHyR7n.jpg

wu1QCrP.jpg

T56HNTA.jpg

Mucho Nacho produce larger pods than Early or Jalapeno M but not as large as Mammoth, Goliath of Giganti. They do however taste way better than the larger jalapenos ive tried. I grew the "jumbos" 2 years in a row and everyone had almost no heat and flavorless. I will never grow those again. I would rather grow Anaheims if i want mild....At least they taste really good...I do have some Anaheims growing though that are hotter than most jalapenos....They are called Lumbre and they really got some zip to them.

This is one of my good sized Mucho Nachos but ive had larger ones.
dVdkQTU.jpg

Most of today's harvest. I got lots more green jalapenos but i only pick when i want some right away.
O3JBfWg.jpg

Untitled by Stephen Hubchen, on Flickr

Decent harvest, all from seed. Clockwise from top; Hot Italian Bananas, Lemon Drops, Serranos, Habaneros, Super Chiles, Jalapenos. The Serranos were not what I expected, was thinking of getting the typical slender green chiles, got something more like a Jalapeno.

Have a lot more fruit, still green, but am running out of summer. Please, just a few more weeks of heat!!

Nice harvest. I picked a few lemon drops today, jalapenos and some more hot Anaheim Lumbre peppers. I skipped serrano this year but i really like them. Great for sauces and salsa. My jalapenos though ended up being very hot even ripe so i lucked out. 2 chichimecas on a plate of nachos will REALLY get your attention. :D

Finished off a liter of ripe jalapeno and super chile/Tabasco hot sauce today too. Probably use some kind of hab next time instead to kick it up a notch.
ZbSkf6C.jpg

Ive got NuMex Lumbre out the wazoo if you want to try some seeds. They are the hottest Anaheim and thin walled so they dry easily. Im drying a bunch of ripe ones starting today and harvesting the seeds. Very easy to grow variety and they tolerate cool nights. I got a late start on mine and i still get lots of ripe peppers from them. They are good green too.

I got a Caribbean red hab that got a really late start. Its got green pods but im not sure they will get ripe before the season ends. My Scotch Bonnets are pretty much done. They hate the cool nights. Ive got one more pod but one plant did bloom again even though it looks like hell.

My Beni Highlands are kicking out another round of pods. This will be the third. Last one produced smaller pods than the first. Its interesting for a milder yellow hab but not as sweet or fruity as i would like. They produce very well in cooler climates but also seem to tolerate heat very well.

GM54-120, I think I will take you up on the seed offer, next year I want to focus on plants that really put out the fruit. My lemon drops are silly with pods, so are my serrano's and jalapeno's. If I can get some seeds from the Ghost pepper I will give that a try just for the heck of it.

How did your hydroponics work out? Wasn't this your first year trying the coco coir?

Baccatums produce like mad and don't seem to be as bothered with temps. Kinda long season but thats ok. Just avoid Aji Amarillo unless you can get a good head start.

I will try to get you some Sandia Select too. They are about the 2nd hottest Anaheim but mine are WAY larger than the Lumbre. Im just waiting on a ripe one to pop. I got a super late start on the one that sprouted. I got the Lumbre seeds and pods drying now. Oven at 170F till it preheats then kill heat. Im starting them off just till the oven cools back down them sun dry. 170F for a few minutes will kill most nasties and speed up drying. Seeds are air drying on a paper plate and paper towels.

I didnt use hydro. I just used a couple different coco mixes in pots with a drip system. One pot was just calcium buffered coco, perlite and CNS17 Grow for nutrients....I wasnt impressed with that one. Ecoscraps coco based potting mix with a little more perlite though was good. Its only about $5 a bag when Lowes/HomeDepot has it on sale. Normally about $9 per bag. Mixed with pine bark fines it was also good.
Ecoscraps_Natural_and_Organic_Potting_Mix_32_qt_Front_1200x.jpg

Mmmmm sun dried Lumbre. They smell soooo good. These will be ready today.
hUJpgIJ.jpg

Cant wait for the larger Sandia Select to ripen. Its murder not tasting one but ive only got 5 big peppers on a late start plant.
bR7v8KV.jpg

rLxHNqr.jpg

Round 3 of the mildish hab Beni Highlands. There are LOTS of green ones you cant see in the pic. Excellent hab variety for high yield and ease of growing. Im going to make a straight up hab sauce with hardly anything else added since they are somewhat mild for a hab.
oZ93Tzp.jpg

You must custom blend lidocaine with your preparation H.

I just got our small garden done yesterday and ready for winter to have it, Very little value/nutrients in this soil. I removed about 1 foot of material and filled it back up with some really good 2-3 year old compost. I will try a few Jalapeño plants next year, The Super Hots Like Ghost (Bhut jolokia) and Carolina Reapers require more Grow time than North Idaho allows. I bought some nice little Ghost pepper plants 1 year and they hung up and just wouldn't grow, about the end of July they finally took off like wildfire! The plants got big fairly quick after they took off and had little pods all over them, But i knew they didn't have time to make it, Sure enough the Frost got them. It usually Frosts here the first week of Sept. No doubt a guy could start them in the house and baby them along, But you also Shouldn't plant anything around here til middle or end of May, plants in the house are a nuisance to me, and seem to always get spindly. Jalapeño are my best bet

I northern climates many of the super hots and some of then Peruvian peppers MUST be started inside around January/February or they simply wont have a long enough season to produce ripe pods. This just creates too many issues for some people including me. Bugs indoors, lighting and extended "hardening off" before the plants can handle real sunlight.

A greenhouse is the best solution but its not cost or room effective for me. I am looking into a smaller portable one and just add a small heater but not for use before March. I just need a month or two head start here.

Jalapenos are great but Anaheims can be excellent too. They tolerate cooler nights in the fall very well but do like warm soil before planting. My Peruvian peppers called Aji Cito and Aji Lemon Drop dont do too bad either. They usually wont have any ripe pods until mid July/late though. Serrano also do very well.

If you want Habanero flavor but a bit less hot, Beni Highlands grow just fine up north. Mine are still cranking out pods where my other hab types are mostly done.

Add some of this to your compost if you dont mind some poultry poo in it. It has the good bacteria and a healthy shot of calcium. You can get it at lots of places for around $6 a bag.
Jobes-Organics-Compost-Starter.png

s-l1600.jpg

Right about now is the time to hit Walmarts as they want to move their gardening products out of the way. About this time last year I loaded up on organic fertilizer (Jobes and some other brand) on clearance, about $4 for 8 pound bags.

Almost done. Got a few more jalas, Beni Highlands and some Thai giant orange to go still. A few of my Caribbean Reds are turning so i will at least have seed stock for next year. Picking the last of the jalas Monday for pickling and relish.
HC49Q2P.jpg

I think my Jalapenos plants are on borrowed time. Still have several nice peppers, but some leaves have turned yellow and fell off. It was in the 50's today after being up in the mid to upper 80's last couple weeks. We had 3 different thunder storms pass over us today and the second had lots of pea size hail! :shock: That was quite unexpected. There are one or 2 starts from a couple buds that fell but don't expect them to do much. I suspect what is there now is all I will get.

Back