Using different sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
I see a lot of guys using, for example, a Barnes TMZ or a Bloodline, but put it in a different sabot, one that is different than the one supplied. What's usually the reason for this and how do you know which sabot is not only good to use but also safe?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the sabots supplied in packs are too large for some bores, so you almost need to hammer them down and others load with one finger. There are several sabots made and of different diameters. Finding the right sabot that gives the right sabot/bullet "Fit" to the bore of Your rifle will normally improve accuracy greatly. Check out this "Sticky" from the top of the Inline Forum.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9798

I'm kinda picky with 'bore fit'. If it isn't to my liking, I use a different sabot. Often that is a Crush-Rib sabot from Harvestor.

I know this was an old thread, but going back to it after reading the Sticky, (dumb question) can you use ANY sabot for any bullet? Is there one thing or another to look for when experimenting with different bullet/sabot combinations? And are they all safe? For example, if I wanted to try one of those Lehigh fragmenting bullets, how would I know what sabot is not only safe to use but also what would fit that bullet (or any bullet for that matter)? Thanks guys for helping on this.

Sabots are sized for bullets and usually colour coded.

Black is for 45 caliber bullets .451/.452
Green is for 44 caliber bullets .429/.430
Orange is usually for .458 bullets

There are other variations. The package should tell you.

Hornet22savage said:
Sabots are sized for bullets and usually colour coded.

Black is for 45 caliber bullets .451/.452
Green is for 44 caliber bullets .429/.430
Orange is usually for .458 bullets

There are other variations. The package should tell you.

So which bullets are for .50 calibers then? Or can you use 45 and 44 in a .50 muzzleloader? As u can tell, I'm slightly confused.

As stated you can use the 44mag (.429-.430 diameter) bullets in the green 44x50 sabot (44cal bullet x 50cal rifle).
The Black sabots are for 45 cal bullets in the 50 cal rifle, 45x50. In that sabot you can use any .451-.452 diameter bullet. Pretty much talking all pistol bullets here. But you can buy bulk bullets at most vendors. There would be no safety issues swapping the sabots with bullets as long as they are for that size bullet for your bore. So as an example, you can use .451-.452 diameter (45cal) Hornady XTP, Speer deep curl, or Nosler, or Sierra bullets in the Black sabots mentioned. Just match the bullet diameter to the sabot. The Boxes of pistol bullets normally state the diameter on the box, so just look at the description on the box if you pick up locally.

With sabots you just need to get the right one that fits the chosen bullet to the bore of your rifle. So you may need to try a couple different ones to get the right fit. In the 45x50 you can use MMP-HPh12 or MMP-hph24 or a Harvester Crush rib or Harvester smooth short black. Some sabots are a little larger in diameter, such as the MMP hph12 is larger than the MMP-hph 24 so if you used a .452 diameter bullet in the MMP hph12 and it loaded too tight then the MMP hph24 would load easier. IF that was too tight then the Harvester crush rib may load even easier.

Thanks ShawnT, that simplified it perfectly. I guess I never knew that pistol bullets were used in muzzleloaders. Guess that would explain the .44 and .45 bullets.

Ok it's all making sense now matching what you guys told me to what the chart in the sticky shows. For example, the Barnes T-EZ in 290 grain is a .45 caliber bullet (.451) so if for some reason it wasn't fitting well down my bore or if accuracy may be an issue I could swap out the sabot to a, for example, Black Harvester Crush Rib or MMP HPH24. As long as it's made for the bullet diameter you're good to go.

The Barnes TEZ sabot IS a HPH-24. Its just dyed a different color.

The TMZ is a boattail and sabots for boattails are very limited. Occasionally you can get them to shoot ok in regular sabots. Knight sells a VERY easy loading blue sabot for boattails.

GM54-120 said:
The Barnes TEZ sabot IS a HPH-24. Its just dyed a different color.

The TMZ is a boattail and sabots for boattails are very limited. Occasionally you can get them to shoot ok in regular sabots. Knight sells a VERY easy loading blue sabot for boattails.

Oh it is, wasn't aware of that. I was just giving an example anyway. My T-EZ's shoot great as is.

So how does all this come into play for actual .45 caliber muzzleloaders?

Kraig said:
Ok it's all making sense now matching what you guys told me to what the chart in the sticky shows. For example, the Barnes T-EZ in 290 grain is a .45 caliber bullet (.451) so if for some reason it wasn't fitting well down my bore or if accuracy may be an issue I could swap out the sabot to a, for example, Black Harvester Crush Rib or MMP HPH24. As long as it's made for the bullet diameter you're good to go.

Now your getting the idea. :wink:

Most MLs shoot in the same velocity range as say a 44mag or 45 cal pistol, that is why the pistol bullets work for inlines.

As mentioned just be aware of the boat tails on some Barnes bullets.

Hornet22savage said:
They have their own sabots.

MMP Tan is a 45x40
MMP Blue is 45x 357
Harvester light Blue 45x40

Thanks man

I appreciate the help guys. I really am trying to learn this stuff.

Latest posts

Back