Loading Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerodur

Reaction score
When measuring 209 by volume should I tap the sides of the loading tube, allowlng the powder to settle or should I just put the powder in th tubes and turn the tubes up and down the reason I ask, there is a difference of 5 to 7 grain depending how I do it

Re: Loading blackmore 209

It really doesn't matter as long as you are consistent every time. Many loaders measure differently anyhow. Use what method works for you, then figure out what amount your rifle likes and stick with it.

You can probably do whatever you want, as long as you are consistent. Once you find the right amount of Blackhorn 209 for the given bullet, sabot and gun, don't change your practice.

SteveH said:
You can probably do whatever you want, as long as you are consistent. Once you find the right amount of Blackhorn 209 for the given bullet, sabot and gun, don't change your practice.

WV, ya beat me by a minute!

If you are using the Blackhorn vials, your measurements will never be accurate no matter how you do it. You will get better, and more consistent results if you measure using something like the TC u-view measure, or another type intended for measuring powder. The blackhorn vials are fine for hauling the powder to the range, after it is measured using something more accurate.

Try wiping your vails with a dryer sheet. The powder will all come out.

As Ron mentioned above the TC U View is the most accurate and as far as I have found the ONLY accurate measure. My Blackhorn Vials are off by about 10. I now weigh my charges.

Weight the charges and you will get better accuracy on paper. I am not sure it will make a difference for hunting big game animals, but on paper, I notice better consistency. My first (3) shot group was a big hole at 100 yards with 70 grains of weighed powder.

If you care to make the investment AND want to use volume.....(FOR BH209 ONLY...NOT for other subs unless you get a Black Powder version)

You can get something like a Redding 3BR (rifle version) to more accurately measure by volume. They are pricey but show up on auction sites occasionally

Around $175 for the Reddding and quite a bit less for the RCBS UniFlow.

Loading blackmore 209

Why not just weigh it and be done with it? You can get a descent scale for $25-$30.

This will last me several years. It’s all weighed out and ready to go. Sits in my safe.

d799e2a36843b336cc22cb0a3b8b9c5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many grains of Blackhorn do you shoot?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

It really does not matter out to 200 yards whether you weigh Blackhorn or measure by volume . I've done it both ways . I use to really sweat my loads I would have every load weighed out exactly I mean EXACT .Jeff Fisk told me that it was not that crucial so I did some experimenting on my own . For hunting ( which I consider a 200 yard shot a very long shot ) you will not tell a difference in accuracy . As long as you measure your loads out the same. I've weighed my loads ,used powder measure devices,drop devises and used Blackhorn tubes to measure my loads all of these work fine . Just make sure how ever you decide to do it the same .

Re: RE: Re: Loading Blackhorn 209

01Foreman400 said:
84 gr. Weighted.

The reason i asked, looks in the picture of the tubes, that the volume is way above the 120 mark?

herschel conyers said:
01Foreman400 said:
84 gr. Weighted.

The reason i asked, looks in the picture of the tubes, that the volume is way above the 120 mark?

I think your seeing an illusion since the tube is laying on its side. Powder spilling in the tube above the 120 mark.

rangerod said:
herschel conyers said:
01Foreman400 said:
84 gr. Weighted.

I think your seeing an illusion since the tube is laying on its side. Powder spilling in the tube above the 120 mark.
I see says the blind man "me", thankyou

Yeah, just because it’s tipped on it’s side.

rangerod said:
At my age of 64 I often use the old age excuse. Works pretty well. Have you ever heard of Windfall Ind? My dad was originally from there.
Yep, windfall is about 10 miles down the road.

When I fill my range tubes I always measure on a digital scale. I have experienced just what you're saying with the volume measure, that's why I weigh now. I do a lot of cartridge reloading and would never imagine just dumping a volume of powder into a case. It may not make much of a difference for hunting, but it sure helps with the OCD. Blackhorn is 70grs weight to 100grs volume. I usually weigh out 80gr loads for hunting in my TC 209x50.

Latest posts

Back