Sabot length

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclee80

Reaction score
If you use a different length sabot, will that change the impact?

Thanks
Lee

Depending on velocity, longer petal sabots will usually separate faster from the bullet. The faster your load the less noticeable it becomes. I prefer sabot petals to just barely go past the bearing surface of the bullet.

Thanks, the last ones I got were as long as the .44 lead. ( previous ones shorter like you are talking about.)
The longer ones shot about 3" high but dead on left and right.

so I adjusted down and got them to 1.5 high at 50 yards and touching so thinking not a scope problem but
wondering what everyone thought..

Lee

Welcome to the group, good to have you.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I want perfect fit 1st, not as concerned about length. Then one may want to look at the bullet profile some, like a boat-tail bullet may prefer a sabot that's matched.

Then no matter the combination, ease of loading, shots on target, then performance in game are the real biggies.

I have had some so long on some bullets that the jag was kind of grabbed by the sabot and kind of locked on it when loading. I have cut (shortened) some petals just to use some that I felt were too long.

The one day I got to hunt this year it rained , saw no deer , but gun did shoot!!

What caliber are you shooting? I am new here also don't have a lot of knowledge on Ml"s but see here this group of guys seem to know a lot about the subject,all from bullets to barrels to rifle twist,and powders.My frist muzzle loader was a Wolf.I bought a box of pellets some bullets an learned how to load.The guy who got me into it was pretty good,bought a second wolf with the quick release breach plug which doesn't release without a pair of pliers,the 3rd ml was a triditions 50 cal side lock which i havn't shot yet,this one reminds me of the old guns of yester year.Flintlocks go back a lot further then i really want to go,anyway back to sabot length get different sizes try till you find what works for your ml.Lot of different stuff to play with in this sport.I'm reading a lot of old posts here some interesting some not,the more you know on any subject the better you become with it.

I am using a Thompson Encore .50 barrel with the 209 primer.
Shooting FFF black powder, the green sabot and .44 caliber hollow points.
I learned from my Uncle, and have always used the fff.

Latest posts

Back