Loading Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dougs136Schwartz said:
It really does not matter out to 200 yards whether you weigh Blackhorn or measure by volume . I've done it both ways . I use to really sweat my loads I would have every load weighed out exactly I mean EXACT .Jeff Fisk told me that it was not that crucial so I did some experimenting on my own . For hunting ( which I consider a 200 yard shot a very long shot ) you will not tell a difference in accuracy . As long as you measure your loads out the same. I've weighed my loads ,used powder measure devices,drop devises and used Blackhorn tubes to measure my loads all of these work fine . Just make sure how ever you decide to do it the same .

Great post! Some will argue, but some of us figured this out back in 2008. Still works the same, 9-1/2 years later.

The only reason i weigh is because its very very convenient for me. Calibrate, set amount and press a button. Dump, replace pan and repeat. It keeps filling the pan with the charge i want until i tell it to stop or i can select how many charges i want thrown.

It aint cheap but i love my RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo :p

Well...and BH209 is pricey and it cuts waste down to basically nothing.

Not to hijack this thread, but on a quick site note, how far ahead of time can you load your range or hunting tubes (like Lanes vials) before use? I wouldn’t think it would matter would it? Seems to me the vials are just as air tight as the BH209 bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Loading Blackhorn 209

Kraig said:
Not to hijack this thread, but on a quick site note, how far ahead of time can you load your range or hunting tubes (like Lanes vials) before use? I wouldn’t think it would matter would it? Seems to me the vials are just as air right as the BH209 bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All powders are packaged in nontransparent containers. Usually black plastic, metal, etc. U v light does degrade the powder. Lanes tubes will keep powder for years if stored properly. Keep them in the dark.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back