• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bore Lock Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twild

Reaction score
I have these if someone would like to try them.

5- 350gr lead
8-270gr copper

twild said:
I see they are gone but can you give me some feedback on them. I’m really likeingnthe design. But they’re a little on the higher end price. Don’t mind spending the cash for them. But some insight would be great. I watched a review from randy Wakeman I liked what I saw. But just not sold on them yet

The copper ones shot much better than the lead. They go down the barrel VERY easy and I couldn't convince myself they would stay on the powder. Also kinda pricey compared to other bullets that shoot as good or better.

I had nine of these bullets, the copper ones, and shot them on paper at 100 yards over 100 grains [weighed] of Blackhorn 209 powder. They loaded pretty loose in my Accura and the pattern was somewhat open compared to what an XTP or deep curl 300 grain shot. I don't know that I would order them.

Re: RE: Re: Bore Lock Bullets

MrTom said:
I had nine of these bullets, the copper ones, and shot them on paper at 100 yards over 100 grains [weighed] of Blackhorn 209 powder. They loaded pretty loose in my Accura and the pattern was somewhat open compared to what an XTP or deep curl 300 grain shot. I don't know that I would order them.
100 grains [weighed] of Blackhorn 209 out of an accura. Wow! Hope you meant volume.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Yes....77 grains weighed. 100 grain by volume. Just caught the mix-up this morning .Thanks .

If you seat them really hard on the powder the collar should expand some and tighten them up.

Tried the copper bore locks in my Knight UL with 100grn (V) BH209 with CCI 209M, couldn't get reliable ignition. I'll try them in my MK-95 after deer season to see if LMRPs solve the problem.

Leadslinger said:
Tried the copper bore locks in my Knight UL with 100grn (V) BH209 with CCI 209M, couldn't get reliable ignition. I'll try them in my MK-95 after deer season to see if LMRPs solve the problem.

Me for one will be highly surprised if the rifle primer works better than the CCI 209m primer. Also, doesn't Western Powders recommend one not use Blackhorn in your MK-95?

Checked with Western, they did not recommend BH209 in slam fire guns (MK-85 style) but were OK with MK-95 since it has a bolt type mechanism and posi-fire 38 capsules to seal up the breech. They recommended I watch for signs of blowback with heavier charges. I followed up with a call to Knight, thumbs up as well but recommended I keep an eye on the primer modules for signs of damage and to be sure the MK-95 bolt was staying closed after each shot. I appreciate the heads up Ron, I’m also open to learning more about Muzzleloading (my obsession).
Any MK-95 shooters out there using BH209, having any issues?

Leadslinger said:
Checked with Western, they did not recommend BH209 in slam fire guns (MK-85 style) but were OK with MK-95 since it has a bolt type mechanism and posi-fire 38 capsules to seal up the breech. They recommended I watch for signs of blowback with heavier charges. I followed up with a call to Knight, thumbs up as well but recommended I keep an eye on the primer modules for signs of damage and to be sure the MK-95 bolt was staying closed after each shot. I appreciate the heads up Ron, I’m also open to learning more about Muzzleloading (my obsession).
Any MK-95 shooters out there using BH209, having any issues?
There are a few of us with the MK-95. Best to stick to no more than 100gnV and 95gnV is a little better. Anything more than 100gn is too much back pressure on the case and bolt due to the size of the flash hole. I have shot a lot in my .50 cal. and a good bit in my .54 cal.

There is a couple things you need to watch out for. First be sure that little bolt (posi-fire ignition) is closed and in the locked position, otherwise you are back to shooting a slam fire and it will blow that bolt back. Second, when shooting BH I would not recommend buying New Old stock Speer cases or old stock in the Knight packaging. Over a long period of time those cases get a bit on the brittle side from age and will blow out, the are ok for Pyrodex or 777 or Black, been there done. I have several packs of the Speer cases that were packed in cardboard boxes I got from gunbroker. The Cardboard packaging was used by Speer more than 20 years ago, and are very old stock. Use new stock (currently in Black plastic boxes) and they are fine.

Ron & Shawn, appreciate the input. I'll be sure to use only new stock modules (my current supply is in black plastic cases with yellow Speer label). I'll limit to 100 grn BH209 (V) maximum. The spring loaded detent screw on all 3 of my MK-95s are in good shape and do the job of keeping the bolt held down, but I'll make a habit of visually checking the bolt position before disengaging the safety to fire. Thanks again for the help. :D

Latest posts

Back