Good start with the Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I had a good opening day. This was the first hunt with my 45 Mountaineer so I was really hoping for a chance to pull the trigger.
About 7:30 just as it was light enough to see I saw this buck coming down a fence row, cross the road and enter the standing corn field about 500 yards to the east of us. I told my daughter to keep an eye out cause who knows what direction he is heading in that corn. About 8:30 he showed himself about 150 yards north of our stand on the west edge of the corn. He turned and started walking right at us. He started to turn west so I put the Knight out the west window and told my daughter to plug her ears. Right at that point he turned east and crossed the drainage ditch. I moved to the east window and got ready. I stopped him perfectly broadside with a grunt at 60 yards and made some smoke. He slowly trotted at the shot not acting hit but you could see the blood pouring out of both sides! He made it about 100 yards out in our picked bean field, wobbled a bit and tipped over.
It was not only my first deer on the first hunt with my Knight but it was my first kill with a conical. I'd say they both did there job.
My oldest daughter was with me again. Same daughter I had with when I killed a nice 10 two years ago. Which was also at 8:30 on opening Saturday.

Attachments

• 20171104_084312-403x302.jpg
    20171104_084312-403x302.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 20171104_084341-403x302.jpg
    20171104_084341-403x302.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 389
That's a good one , What stock have you got on the rifle ? sure looks good

wesley396 said:
That's a good one , What stock have you got on the rifle ? sure looks good

Thanks! The stock is off of an Ultralite.

Congrads! Love to see the youth out too! :yeah:

03mossy said:
In the video the handsome bearded fella and the cute little girl is me and my daughter.

n

Yeah but which one is which?

Congrats on the buck!

Congrats..
Read like a double lung shot.
45 Mountaineer - what conical/load?

52Bore said:
Congrats..
Read like a double lung shot.
45 Mountaineer - what conical/load?

Yep double lung. Lungs were jello.

460 No Excuse
80 grains BH209
.30 veggie wad
Win primer

Been trying to take a deer with a conical for years and never had a shot when I had one loaded. I'm pretty happy with the first test!

Back