Opinions wanted Browning X-Bolt and 41 Mag rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm look into to add to my inventory specifically a 6.5x55 and a lever action in 41 Mag. I found a limited run Browing X-Bolt in 6.5x55 and the price seems good but it has been there a while so I am unsure if the gun is scaring people away or the caliber. Anybody own a X- Bolt or handled one? #2 looking for a short range woods gun, I already own a 41 Mag revolver so a lever gun would be nice. Question is Henry or Marlin? I have read a lot about the micro groove rifling and it has left me confused as to weather or not it will shoot jacketed bullets good or not. Help!

ive never handeled the x bolt but always been a fan of Browning. Have shot a Henry 44 very nice rifles, hope to own one someday.

not a fan of browning at all honestly, BUT i really like the x bolt alot dont own one yet but would without hesitation. as far as the marlin micro groove barrels i own 2 both get a steady diet of both jaketed and cast and both shoot well they do both like bullets on the heavy end of the scale. on the other hand though i think since the whole remlin thing happened you will get a better built gun from Henry unles you buy pre remlin.

I have a fair amount of A-Bolts, and one X-Bolt. I have other guns represented, but am generally a Browning fan. I’ve not had any adverse issues, mechanically or accuracy wise. I put a Timney trigger spring in about all of my A-Bolts, ‘lite’ or ‘medium’ depending on the use.

I’m close to adding a ‘mil-surp’ rifle in 6.5 x 55, for the younger Son. I was looking at a few of the other 6.5x55 chambered guns of the sporting type. I did see Browning & Tikka rifles chambered so on Gunbroker(no I won’t bid against you).

I’d have no hesitation buying a Browning in that chambering. It seems like a very nice cartridge, better for the reloader too.

Since I have a bunch of 243’s, then some 7mms I really don’t need another midsized deer rifle.

The most accurate rifle I've ever owned is a Browning A-bolt. The only thing custom is the stock, by MPI. See photo. Three shot group, 100 yards, 160 grain Failsafe, Winchester factory ammo.

Attachments

• 7mm WSM group (2).gif
    7mm WSM group (2).gif
    111.7 KB · Views: 116
I have 3 Browning xbolts and all 3 shoot great. I have a Micro Midas xbolt 7mm-08 that my son used growing up, a xbolt Hunter in 270 and I have a new Xbolt Hell’s Canyon Speed in 308. I would say the reason the gun wasn’t to popular was the caliber. The 6x55 has always been over shadowed by the 260 and now both are forgotten about because of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Back