Sabots, MMPs or Harvester? Why?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mostly use the MMP too for the same reason as Hornet 22 savage. I do use Harvester some too as one rifle likes them a tad better.

Bones816 said:
What's your choice and why?

I use strictly MMP's - since I hunt in the Pacific Nor West and hunt in cold weather. The Polymer formula that MMP uses remains more pliable in cold but - do get soft in hot barrels and really warm weather...

When I lived up North I used MMP and they worked great when I moved down South after retirement I had to switch to Harvester as they hold up much better to the heat.

I shoot both. For me and whatever rifle I'm using, whichever bullet/sabot combo gives me the best combo of loading ease, fit, and accuracy. I haven't noticed an issue hunting in warm or cold. Granted I'm in the mid-atlantic so its not quite as cold here as many places. Although we sometimes have single digits during the season. Probably my most widely used are the H Crush Rib, followed by MMP std.

I use Harvester sabots. I feel they are better in hot and cold conditions. IMO, the Harvester's are more durable. At one range session, I loaded a 200gr SST with the supplied MMP sabot and the bullet hit the target sideways, most likely a blown sabot. I switched to a Harvester sabot and shot a nice group with round holes in the target.

Harvester is always a first try with me. They load wider diameter bullets easier. Lately I only use MMP when I need a short sabot for light, short bullets..... that being the EZ three petal MMPs I have in stock.

dragonfly said:
So...which MMP would be an equivalent to H crushrib?

The MMP HPH-3P-EZ Load would be the closest... The HPH-24 is the next thickness up and more equivelent to the Black 4550 Sabot...

MMP_HPH-3_P-_EZ.jpg

Remember if you go to the MMP website or call Connie at MMP - the price of the pack includes shipping and the more packs you buy there is a discount price...

I shoot both depending upon the rifle. Frankly I let the gun decide which it likes best. Sometimes there simply isn't an option as mentioned...I have some bores that are so loose and others that are too tight to use another brand.
Obviously there's simply no way to remain brand loyal when you have rifles from different mfg.
Maybe someday they will standardize bore diameters for MZ's but until then we are condemned to the trial & error method of what our rifles like if we want the most accuracy..
I've yet to see one brand of sabots work best across the board.

Of course if you have only one type of MZ or secondary MZ's you are willing to compromise accuracy on...then you can get away with a one size fits most approach and choose a brand to stick with...

My NULA shoots both pretty well with just a slight edge to the Harvester short black depending on actual bullet diameter. My 45s get the Harvester because the bores are tight.

I tend to use the Harvestors more now. Occasionally I get a flier with the MMPs for whatever reason so I go with the more consistent (for me) Harvestors.

Harvestercrush ribs. I've consistently had the best accuracy with them in a number of rifles/calibers. Never any plastic fouling and easy loading. I wish that Harvester would make crush ribs for 357/45!

Back