Biggest animal taken to date?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroszkowski

Reaction score
oops double post. my bad. mods could u delete one of the two of these?

Doesn't have to be with a ML necessarily, I just wanna see some big animals! Here is my best, taken in 2005, 497 lbs. dressed 585 live weight MN black bear. ARCHERY EVEN! twelve yard shot, pass through with a 100 gr. Magnus stinger, set the MN Archery Black Bear Record! I will never forget this beast, what an amazing hunt!!

HugeBear1.jpg

Hope to see some nice ones!

WOW.. that is a great bear. Did you take that over bait, with dogs, or just stalking around? Because of the distance, I would guess it was over bait. Lets hear the story.

mroszkowski

My fault - deleted the wrong one.... would you post your picture and question again? Got it fixed check it to make sure it is OK

thanks - sabotloader

That is a dang nice bear - the paws on that animal are awesome....

Here is an essay i wrote.. pretty much sums it up. What happened to the original post? haha here are some more pics.. I would LOVE to hear more trophy stories, and see some more pics of everyone elses most amazing/meaningful hunts!!

BigBear2.jpg

MartinBearIII.jpg

One For the Record Books

I slowly turned my head at the sound of a stick cracking. I tentatively searched the woods for any sign of movement, but saw none. I slowly relaxed, careful not to make a sound, but tensed up at the sound of another cracking branch. ?He is here? I thought to myself, ?I know it?. I carefully knocked an arrow tipped with a metal broadhead, each side honed into a razor sharp edge. I could hear the breathing, and I could almost smell the animal as I realized he was closing in, and fast. I was trembling, but knew this would be the chance of a lifetime, so I couldn?t let my emotions get the best of me. My sidearm, a .270 Winchester rifle, was loaded and at the ready if anything were to go horribly awry.

I could see brush being ripped out of the ground now as it came closer and closer, the smell of sweet candy and bacon grease driving its animal instincts crazy. The first glimpse I caught of the enormous animal was when he looked right at me as he broke through the wood line. I could hear the heavy breathing, and tell he was fueled by hunger. He wanted to eat, and now. I raised my bow, hoping my 55-pound draw weight would be enough to push an arrow through the tough hide and bones and still make a humane kill.

As I pulled the string back to my solid anchor point and lined up the sights, the angered beast stopped behind a tree with only its head exposed, and looked right at me. For more than a minute of agony I held the bow back, careful not to make a sound or move even an inch. Finally, he stepped forward to the bait pile, presenting me with a shot. I lined up the sights, reassuring myself that I was so ready. I had practiced all summer for this moment; I could do this in my sleep. ?Make it count? I told myself, and I released the arrow with a ?Thud?. I watched as the fluorescent green fletchings steer the arrow shaft through the air directly on target. The arrow plunged into the animal just behind the shoulder, and with a blood-curdling roar, the beast ran off into the woods. I listened carefully, replaying the shot in my head and reassuring myself it was a good shot. I could hear the crashing of brush and rotting trees, and finally, with one last harsh breath, I heard a thud. I knew it was down, and that I had made a humane shot. I sat down, my hands shaking and my breathing coarse, and called up my dad, telling him of the event.

Soon thereafter, we were hot on the blood trail, and I kept replaying the shot in my head, still amazed at what had just happened. After about a half hour of tracking, I almost cried as I walked up on the biggest black bear I had ever seen. It measured seven feet from nose to tail and, after we field dressed it, weighed just short of 500 pounds. I knew this bear was something special. After a long night of dragging and skinning, I finally retired to my bed at nearly 2 a.m. to get some sleep for school the next day. As I slipped off into an abyss of dreams and phantasms, all I could think about was how thankful I was for this amazing opportunity, and how proud of myself I was for keeping my cool and making the shot.

The next day, I told all of my friends and word spread fast. The newspaper published the story, even a nationally renowned ?Bowhunter Magazine? published my story. I began to get calls from people asking for the story, and that?s when it hit me. This animal was bigger than most seen in the average persons lifetime. I was going to have it measured to see how it stacked up against other bear shot in Minnesota. Soon after I had it measured, I knew it was one for the record books. It was the largest bear to date taken in Minnesota with archery equipment, and was close to the top 100 in the Pope and Young record book, one that publishes records nationwide. I knew in my heart that I had taken a truly spectacular animal, and the story still gets my heart beating quickly to this day. It was a day that I won?t forget for the rest of my life.

mroszkowski

Great essay - reading that almost put me there next you to witness the whole thing... Sure hope you got an "A" in english class for that one...

I am still amazed at the size of those paws...

I live in bear country and that is a great bear. Great story too. Congratulations... and to do it with a bow took some guts. They can say what they want but to face down something like that with a bow really gets you pumped. I always hunted them with a muzzleloader. But I kept a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk with me.

I had a bear that came into the yard by the house every day at 3:35 pm. (in fact I had several that used to come in) You could almost set your watch by him. He was HUGE. This was of course before I ever owned a digital camera. A friend of mine who is a bear guide up here, came by one afternoon and we watched him from the kitched window. He guessed him at over 500 pounds. I thought he was a little less then that.

The record bear taken in the area in the 60's was 665 pounds...

4x4 mule deer with my flintlock in 2006. I am going for an elk on the 12th of november with my .54cal sidelock and patched round ball. Hopefully that will be the biggest animal :lol:

Congratulations Max! That is a beautiful bruin.

Here is my biggest, as in heaviest. 5x5 Colorado bull elk. Don't know what he weighed for sure but took 9 men and 2 boys to get him out in one trip. This was on 9-11-2005, taken with a NEF Huntsman .50 caliber, 80 grains 777 FFFG, .060" x .518" fiber gasket wad, 430 grain .503" White Super Slug, at 46 yards.

I just love hunting in the Rockies. :D

Colorado020enhanced.jpg

WOW!! that is a nice elk... I can see why it took a small army to carry him out.

I think these weighed about the same:

1986 Alaskan Brown Bear (I weighed about 350 lbs. at the time...I am smaller now)

scan0123f6.jpg

1992 Mongolian Elk

scan0006b2.jpg

Probably I have killed a greater biomass of wood ticks and mosquitos here in 'da UP of Michigan, eh?, but dat was not da question.

wildhobbybobby, those are some great animals!

In 1991 I shot a Dromedary camel on the Saudi Arabia/Iraq border. No idea on the weight but it was a full grown male so it was 1000 lbs or better. 5.56 did the job in one shot, surprised the heck out of me.

Here's a big one I took a few years back.

steen07.jpg

Oops, wrong photo :wink:...here you go. :D

Gator.jpg

That gator may not be my biggest animal, but he is my longest, and he lives pretty big in my memories.

Nice animals everybody. Hey Max, what did your bear score?

hello mroszkowski i hope you saved the meat ..i enjoy bear meat [5/8" steaks] but it must be well done , no medium rare ...congradulation to all !

Update!

THIS IS MY BIGGEST ANIMAL TAKEN SO FAR! I took her late this evening on opening day of 4th season cow elk hunt.
Picture040-1.jpg

Write up is under the Muzzleloading Stories area of the forum[/b]

Back