TC pro hunter fx or CVA accura mr ?????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerndog

Reaction score
Had my mind set on a tc pro hunter, but the more i read about the accura mr the more i think i will check into one. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ?

I own both brands but not the models you listed. I would say TC is a better quality rifle. I really enjoy my Apex but the camo finish is starting to wear off, not flake off, but wear from my hands around the grip and forend. I treat both brands the same while hunting, at the range, and cleaning. The TC finishes are the same as the day when they came out of the box, most likely a much better clear coat than what CVA uses. Both brands are great shooters for me and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another CVA for the right price.

:D

I shoot CVA. I have V1'S, V2'S and the MR. I have never had a problem with workmenship or quality. I shoot Blackhorn 209 and with the QRBP I can say I've shot 35/45 rounds WITHOUT swabbing the barrel at all. I pull the BP every 6 TO 8 shots, depending the temp, and never had a problem removing the BP with my finger tips. You don't need tape or greese on the BP when using BLACKHORN. There's no crud/burn ring either.

I don't have a T/C to compare it to my CVA'S.
I would like to know if the members that shoot T/C's can shoot say 8 times of 110 grs of Blackhorn and then remove the BP with their finger tips without putting tape or greese on their BP?

Ray........... :wink:

I know CVA has come a long way over the years and from what I hear, they are accurate as hell but I still dont see them to be a quality firearm. If you have the extra money to spend, do yourself the favor and get the ProHunter. You won't regret it and you'll never look back.

One thing I have noticed, while CVA continues to improve, it seems TC is going to that weathersheild crap and its getting harder to find stainless on the racks.

I'm not sure of the price points but I hear good things about the SS Optima for around $200 -$250. I hear ( not from personal experience ) lots of issues from chipping paint / coatings on the MR.

You can rest assured the FX will be a high quality rifle with outstanding customer service if needed. Plus a lifetime warranty. I have several TC muzzys and each is top notch.

Hope this helps.

hawgslayer said:

I shoot CVA. I have V1'S, V2'S and the MR. I have never had a problem with workmenship or quality. I shoot Blackhorn 209 and with the QRBP I can say I've shot 35/45 rounds WITHOUT swabbing the barrel at all. I pull the BP every 6 TO 8 shots, depending the temp, and never had a problem removing the BP with my finger tips. You don't need tape or greese on the BP when using BLACKHORN. There's no crud/burn ring either.

I would like to know if the members that shoot T/C's can shoot say 8 times of 110 grs of Blackhorn and then remove the BP with their finger tips without putting tape or greese on their BP?

With my Triumph I could shoot 50 times and the quick release breechplug would turn out by hand with no tape or grease, if fact the plug only needs turned 90 degrees and it pulls right out. My father in law who I sold it to is not having a bit of trouble either.

hawgslayer said:

First, I have a Pro Hunter, which is the 209x50 and not the XT. Mine uses the hex tool and a 1/4 turn vs the XT and finger removal.

I grease my breech plug liberally each and every time I clean it. I shoot 75grs by WEIGHT (107grs V) of BH209, with CCI209M primers, loading a Barnes 250gr TMZ.

The above said, I've shot 100 rounds, never pulled the breech plug but, cleaned the flash channel every 4th to 6th shot and my breech plug comes out so easy my great, great 3yo niece could remove it.

Now I understand that you stated no tape, which they don't need, and also no grease. Why you suggested not using grease would be a question?

ENCORE50A said:
Why you suggested not using grease would be a question?
Of course i cannot speak for hawgslayer, however i can share my own experience using the QRBP. Myself, i never used either grease or tape on this plug in my rifle. Reason being, it makes a 'perfect' seal between the nose of the plug and the barrel. Nothing reaches the threads. There is zero blow by past the junction of the plug and the barrel..............there is no reason to use any thread protection, because there is nothing to protect the threads from. Keep in mind, the only powder i ever used when using the QRBP is Blackhorn.

Myself, i cannot say for sure how many shots i ever made using this plug, before returning home, and removing it. However, it always was trivially easy to remove with fingers the only 'tool'. Never did i ever take time to remove carbon from the flame channel at the range. It very well may be, i have made 30 shots through a modified QRBP, without any sort of delay, or difficulty removing the plug without tool. Myself, i never did try the made for Blackhorn QRBP, but the standard plug i modified was quite similar.

Same here. I never used grease on the BP. I never had a problem getting it out, however I am still in the habbit of using tape. Next outing I will try no tape, no grease. If it isnt a problem I will intsall clean from then on.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll still stick with CVA's :!:

Ray........ :wink:

Hawgslayer, how does the accura mr handle ? I have not totally made up my mind yet, no one around here has one in stock that i can handle to see how it fits me. Accuracy and how it handles will bee the deciding factor for me !

Go handle a CVA APEX and imagine it at 2lbs lighter. That will give you a good idea of how a Accura MR feels. IMO though the new Optima V2 is a better deal and cost MUCH less than a Accura MR. Its nearly as light and you shouldnt have the coating problems.

They had an Accura MR on the shelf in Cabelas the last time I was in there. The one thing that surprised me about it was it's weight. I thought for it's size it would be a lot lighter. It seemed really heavy. My other issue with them is they don't have sights and I have to have open sights for hunting.
I would vote for the Pro Hunter, but that's just me.

kerndog said:
Hawgslayer, how does the accura mr handle ? I have not totally made up my mind yet, no one around here has one in stock that i can handle to see how it fits me. Accuracy and how it handles will bee the deciding factor for me !

One thing I noticed between the two is that the Encore will require a bit more reach to the trigger than most any of the CVA's. If you have short fingers, an Encore may drive you to drink (more).

Back