Nosler Sporting Handgun 45 Caliber 250 Grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Sporting Handgun 45 caliber Nosler 250g bullet was sent by Scott to be tested. Range was 25 yard, and the powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

The bullet sent the first jug flying, and flattened it.

250nosler1.jpg

This bullet was stopped in the third jug, after destroying the front jug. It weighs 213.5 Grain.

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

Thanks for the effort and time. That seems like it would do just fine on game.

My question is this, these water jugs seem rather 'hard' on an expanding bullet. They seem more so(hard) than say the average 'soft tissue' shot, like broadside 'double-lung'? Even with an easily expanding bullet there is almost always the exit with the broadside shot away from bone. Then again the width of the deer isn't much in this area.

While hunting one has to adjust somewhat as shots are presented. In the perfect scenario after the broadside shot just behind the foreleg it's field dressing time.

Is that right to assume the water jugs are 'harder' than a soft tissue shot?

This bullet and many others here are fine on game at 80 grains. However, so many members here are using 100-120 grains Blackhorn 209.

If I were in that magnum powder charge group of hunters, I would only consider a tested bullet that's penetrated four or more jugs of water. Personally, these tests by Ron fit-my-bill. I hunt using 90 grains of powder (most times).

Can't you realize that the speed at which these bullets hit the target at 25 yards, replicates the speed at which they would hit the target at over 100 yards, and further, if 110g of powder is used?

At 100 yards that bullet has slowed to around 1600ps if it left the muzzle at 2000fps. At 150 yards it has slowed to around 1420fps. Nosler is probably one of the most honest when it comes to advertised BC. I see no reason to believe .177 BC is badly inflated although it might be a tad off when shooting them at full power ML speeds.

Since Nosler discontinued the Partition HG bullets, I have wondered if this line would be good on game. That one seemed to react almost like a bonded core bullet like the Deep Curl. I think it would do just fine on Deer.

I would prefer to see a little bit more penetration, and more weight retention. I'm sure it would be "ok" on game, but I'm starting to think that Nolser makes this bullet more for target use than hunting. They make the same bullet in 9mm, 40, 357, and even a 230 grain 45 for lower velocity .45 acp loadings.

MJFlores said:
I would prefer to see a little bit more penetration, and more weight retention. I'm sure it would be "ok" on game, but I'm starting to think that Nolser makes this bullet more for target use than hunting. They make the same bullet in 9mm, 40, 357, and even a 230 grain 45 for lower velocity .45 acp loadings.

With these informative tests even the pretty Barnes bullet was stopped inside the third water jug. Most of us don't place a shot where the bullet has to travel though 24" of flesh and bone to get to the vitals. With to little of a 'mushroom' and then a complete pass-thru not anything is gained, could be even lost with a common broadside shot.

Sorry, don't mean to get to far down in the weeds with to many variables.

Back